Monday, October 17, 2005

Great Class Different Sensei

Went to a Saturday class at the other dojo this weekend. Sensei Mulligan who runs the place is this unassuming older man (probably in his 70's now). Once he put on his hakima, holy heck. You wouldn't think anyone that looked like that could be that strong. One time he was giving a demonstration to my partner by using me as uke. Wow!! You sure knew he was there. I don't know if its the years of training or that he's kept his strength as he's aged or some combination but when he grabbed me I sure as heck knew it. Almost felt like I was a rag doll in the jaws of a tiger. I got the impression that he could toss me around any which way he wished. I bet if I asked him I'd have a 50% chance of hearing that training was the key.... and 50% chance that I'd hear him say that he ate his fruity pebbles that morning.

One thing about a funny sensei though.... he has uke in a nikkyo and he starts cranking him a bit. Uke is not cooperating so he applys more pressure and uke taps out really softly... so he cranks him a little more and the tapping becomes hard rapping on the mat. Sensei lets him go and says... thats better, you should tap nice and loud.

I warned my partner to feel free to crank my wrists up on the nikkyo practice. I'm relatively loose. She never even came near pain. I think she was doing something wrong. I reminded her to crank on me ... but it never really turned into a nikkyo. I started to wonder if she just simply wasn't strong enough. She seemed really weak in general but she was lightning fast and very fluid in her movements.

It seemed as though Sensei Mulligan was focused on the self defense aspect of Aikido. I'm not sure if its because we had a cop in the class or whether this is the angle he teaches from all the time. From what I've read Sensei Mulligan has pursued a life of martial arts that started in the service.

So... we did a lot of irimi. Deflect the punching hand.... enter... and then sort of do a heaven type throw with your arm...
Another... step back slapping the attacking hand down... grab it and step in so your back is to him but youve got him in a position where you control the hand and elbow and you can then put uke down on the mat.
Another where there were 4 simple variations of responding to a ski punch. Turn sideways off line and allow the punch to go through your two arms.... turn and they fall back. If arms are reversed then turn the other way and they are thrown forward. Another is where you step across in front of uke and before he finished just sort of enter while placing your hand on his shoulder and back uke goes. The fourth escapes me at the moment.

One of the more fun things we did was to grab uke and apply pressure to side of the neck so that we can cut the blood supply to the brain. One time I got it wrong and I was choking the throat and sensei comes over and says..... "No no.... she(uke) can hold her breath for a real long time you have to do it like this".... and he grabs her hard enough for her to grimace a bit. Sometimes I missed it... other times I got her good because she tapped out when ordinarily you wouldn't for this.

DAPI:1 (feel good)
Day After Pain Index

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home