Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Sankyo-Ouch

Had a great night last night. Hopefully I got his name right.... a new guy Nathan showed up to practice. He was fun to work with. He has some kind of judo background. It was kind of evident when Matt set us up in a line to practice a technique and I was first up as uke for Nathan....

Short version..... I've only been thrown that fast once before and that was when sensei threw me. Oddly enough it wasn't rough in any way shape or form. It was just fast. So fast, that I didn't really have time to think about anything. In a split second I was on the ground. I did the breakfall correctly so there was no problem. Matt asked him to slow it up a bit. I told him that as far as I was concerned that speed was fine. Nathan said that in judo they are taught to "fight for your life".

So, the new stuff this week was learning sankyo. I was having some trouble with the omote version. Then we moved on to the ura version and for some reason I started doing better. I'm not sure if it's from sheer repetition or that I had to remember a little more so that the challenge woke up enough of my brain to get it all.

One of the more funny moments was when we continued knife week. Kind of like shark week on tv. You just can't get enough of it. We did the same sankyo on a knife attack. Matt was attacking me. I do the sankyo and get the knife away from him. I toss it to the matt. Then after he taps out I bring him to the mat (I was doing the ura version on him). I slide him forward and he grabs the knife in the other hand.

I just start laughing... I led the attacker right back into his weapon. D'OH !!!

So... there's a lesson for you. Don't pay so much attention to the attacker that you forget about the knife.

Now... the first time I had a sankyo put on me I hadn't been at this for very long and I didn't harmonize well. I ended up with a general ache over my entire body that lasted a few days. Last night I had many sankyo's put on me and I feel great today.

We go to put the tatami away at the end of the night and I jam one across my toe and bend my nail back about a third of the way. It started bleeding. I taped it up and helped clean more. So I get through all the workout of the day and I ended up hurting myself just trying to clean the dojo.

DAPI:1 (Toe is a little sensitive. Just plain silly)
Day After Toe Pain Index

2 Comments:

At January 26, 2006 2:59 AM, Blogger Kris said...

Sankyo ura has always been one of my favorite techniques. It's very efficient and cool :-)

You might like to check out Stefan Stenudds pages about Sankyo Tanto dori:
Tanto Tsuki Sankyo
Tanto Yokomen uchi Sankyo

I normally do all tanto techniques in such a way that I hold on to the knife after removing it from uke. Tossing the knife on the mat as you did can lead to unexpected results ;-)

In sankyo, you can use the handle of the knife to apply pressure to the inside of the elbow while taking uke down. Your other hand keeps the sankyo firmly. When the uke is down, put the knife away behind you or something, and apply the osae (pin).

Enjoy!

 
At January 26, 2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Great sankyo site!!

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home