Friday, January 20, 2006

Training Rougher

I usually speak of what techniques were done on a given day but I think I want to spend most of my time reflecting on HOW training has changed in class.

We did more Kotegaeshi and practiced some iriminage. What's interesting is that Matt had us go back and do some of the techniques we covered in last class. Kim like's this approach because he thinks it reinforces them in his mind. He's probably correct although I hadn't had trouble remembering stuff we did a month ago. I just can't remember the name of the stuff we did a month ago.

On to the topic at hand.......

Matt's run 3 classes so far and I've really enjoyed them. I have noticed however that he practices a little more "real life". The falls we are doing are faster and thus harder. So far my ukemi has been fine for it but it makes me stop and think. Is he just less experienced than sensei and is teaching this way because he doesn't know any better? Or... is he just teaching the way he was learning at his other dojo? I'm guessing it may be a combination of both.

I can say though that I've enjoyed the more rigorous training.

Here is a question I'd like to throw out to all of you. In the past I was told by sensei not to resist at all( as a beginner). Matt mentioned that some resistance can be helpful to a partner to let them know how well they are doing a technique and asked us to give some resistance.

How much resistance do you give or expect during a technique?


DAPI: 1 ( I feel fine, abs and legs feel worked from that ab exercise he has us do)
Day After Pain Index

5 Comments:

At January 21, 2006 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DONT RESIST.
Your sensei's son Matt is a strong guy. Be very carefull in your practice. Resistance is fighting and Aikido is not fighting. In the beginning you need to relax and try to feel the technique.

 
At January 22, 2006 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous#2:
Anonymous is right, Don't Resist.
BUT, don't be a "dead fish" either.
There's a fine line to tread between flopping down every time you're thown and out and out struggling resistance. #2 will get you injured, or at least not win any friends on the mat.
After you've been at this a while longer and you've got a partner you can trust (with you life, literally), you can then begin to increase your resistance. But for beginners, that shouldn't be for a year or so down the road.
ENJOY!

 
At January 24, 2006 9:16 AM, Blogger Friducha17 said...

Hello, I am an ex-student of aikido and enjoy your blog. May I say that from the photograph, it looks like a beautiful dojo you have. Regarding the resistance as a beginner, I agree with your sensei. The rule of thumb I was taught is attack/resist only as hard as you are able to take a fall.

 
At January 31, 2006 12:37 AM, Blogger Darth Daddy said...

THe amount of resistance I give (or dont give) completely depends on the ability of my tori.

WHen I get teamed with a new guy, I give no resistance. Likewise, when performing a tech for the first time (even with tori I know).
Once you feel that the competencly level of your partner is good enough, then you can play with resistance.
It's also helpful if you tell yoru partner "Im gonna resista a little this time" as a warning.

Shannon

 
At January 31, 2006 12:39 AM, Blogger Darth Daddy said...

In my comment, I meant to say "nage" not tori. Got my arts mixed up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home