Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Uh Oh.... I Think I'm Falling Behind a Bit

So we did shomenuchi nikkyo, shomenuchi sankyo, and shomenuchi kotegaeshi. I think the class is moving on practicing more advanced techniques as I'm guessing the current class all passed their 5th kyu test or better.

The nikkyo I did great getting to the point where I have the person down.... then I was having some trouble finding the nikkyo grip at times. I've done better other nights. Toward the end I was improving a tad. I did a couple of them that looked and felt right. I even got a nod from my partner on one or two. Oddly enough this is the same partner I had a while back that almost put me into a wall, threw and pinned me too hard for my ukemi level and constantly yakked at me..... he was like a totally different partner for this practice. Although his first nikkyo did put me onto the floor in pain and felt a bit too strong, he was generally a better partner. Although he seemed bored/distracted and he kept attacking from the wrong side, he never really hurt me. If anything, he was being too gentle. Also... he didn't talk.... I was learning by watching his technique. As for the first nikkyo.... It takes a good nikkyo for me to feel it usually. Most people will nikkyo kind of slow so you have time to tap out. He didn't. It went from nothing to instant bam.... I think maybe I am supposed to be anticipating it and throw myself down and tap. I think I've seen that for 4th kyu tests. Usually, I wait for the pain to start moving. I am now rethinking this concept. If I remember I think I will ask someone.

Am I supposed to anticipate the nikkyo and dive for the floor and tap out? (Don't wait to feel pain. Keep in mind you have to crank me to feel pain for nikkyo)

I like how Matt taught us the sankyo. He broke it down into about 3 pieces. Doing each piece and then putting it all together at the end. I was doing ok at this once I got a few corrections. It think my footwork needed more work though. I don't think that ever got right. I was however getting the sankyo and doing the pin.

I seem to have gone backwards on my kotegaeshi. From a tsuki strike it seemed a lot easier. For some reason even though everything is almost the same, I was having trouble with the yokomen strike version.

All in all it was a good night. It was particularly interesting switching partners so much. One moment I got a really big guy, the next moment I get a girl over 100lbs lighter. Actually, at one point she was doing a sankyo on me and it occurred to me that if I felt like it, while she had me bent over and was going for the sankyo, I could've just picked her up if I wanted right off the ground. Sankyo isn't a technique I think you'd try for real unless the circumstances were right. Although you should know her aikido feels excellent to me most of the time. When she gets you in a technique, you can feel it. (and she has nice control too)


DAPI: 3
Left wrist cranked a bit once. Overall not bad. Should be fine soon.

1 Comments:

At April 06, 2006 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try not to get caught up in judging your progress in a linear way. Training in Aikido is a very organic process that ebbs and flows while moving forward. You will feel strong in a technique one night and find yourself fumbling with the same technique another night. Your practice is influenced by numerous factors inside and outside of yourself. Just be open to what you encounter, recognize the patterns of effective movement and recurrent obstacles and learn from them. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad night. (I've been practicing for 12-15 years and still have classes that in which I feel totally moronic on the mat.)
Bear in mind that the basic class (6pm)at Shodokan is generally comprised of ranks from 5th-3rd kyu and the given instructor will be choosing techniques from any of those levels, as well as occasionally throwing in more advanced techniques to "stretch" the class. There is not a linear syllabus in play and you will find this beneficial to your development as you become familiar with a wider range of techniques. When it comes to preparing for testing, you won't be cramming new techniques for the test. You will be in a position of articulating and refining them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home