Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I Have Spooky Elbows

The past month something has been happening to my aikido. I can't exactly put my finger on it but I feel different during practices. I've always had fun and still do but I'm now getting a different sense of something too. It's almost a quiet joy of accomplishment. Not that I do anything particularly well. Just that I think I hit a stage that I feel as though I am improving at a steady pace. And... the improvement maybe in my overall body conditioning, my ukemi, or even how to pin better not necessarily on how to perform a technique.

My body awareness is changing a bit. Enough so that I was actually doing a couple of wobble rolls correctly during ukemi practice (right side only). I finally got it into my head that I need to do the roll there.... not simply just fall in that direction. Sunday I did Koshinage. When compared to that.... suddenly, rolling sideways doesn't seem like such a bad thing after all.

We did several techniques last night, one of which takes uke's arm and brings it across nage's body sort of in an armbar for the first part of it. While demonstrating the technique to my partner, the instructor mentions to my partner that he knows my joints are little looser than average. He gets my arm in position and says.... "ya... his elbows are loose... that's kind of spooky actually". Kim mentioned working with someone else who is really loose there.... he described it to me and if I have spooky elbows than this guy has a full blast possession going on for his.

One other odd thing.... for the bow in and bow out you usually want to get in order of seniority/rank. People seem to ignore this at times and more experienced people end up sitting to my left. Somehow in this last class I found myself sitting on the far right facing the kamiza. So... I know that theoretically, people are waiting for me for the final bow after the instructor has left the mat. I was just about to bow when the guy to my left gives a slight nod of his head to signal me that it was ok to bow out. Funny. I thanked him after class. For those of you who are new and find yourself in that position. I don't think it's an accident but there is a mirror that allows you to see the doorway where the instructor will usually leave. Peripheral vision is a wonderful thing.

DAPI:1
I feel great

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2006 9:30 AM, Blogger Anita said...

Hi Poxbox. Nice blog.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm planning to put a link to your blog on mine.
Mine's about shiatsu (called Shiatsu-log), but pretty sure I'll be mentioning aikido at some point.

Like the idea of a link to a more detailed aikido blog...

 
At May 20, 2006 1:21 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Don't mind at all. I'll hop over to your blog for a look see later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home