Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Sleepy Sunday

Sunday morning classes can be hard to get to but this past Sunday was brutal. My wife had to wake me out of a sound sleep so I could get up just in time to race off to class. I arrived in a state of sleepy confusion. Somehow I managed to put my gi on correctly.

At this point I'm having trouble remembering how class went. I did some things right. For some reason on Shihonage I have my forward foot at an odd angle when I finish which makes it more difficult to cut uke down. I was told about that in a previous class so I started working on it. After the throw, I'd look down and adjust my foot if need be. The instructor saw this and commented on the bad foot placement before as well. So... I've heard about this problem from a couple different instructors at this point.

We did some nikkyo which results in a shomenuchi nikkyo like pin. The arm is out on the mat and nage pushes the wrist in and the elbow in. My partner for this was one of the beginners that just started in the last beginner start. Probably 8 weeks ago. As usual, he couldn't get a pin on me. I've had 1st kyu's fail to pin me in such a way that I experience pain. So the instructor comes running over to help him and I watch. I learned more about pins in this Sunday class than any other I've attended. By the time he was done with the student, I was tapping out. He wasn't casuing me intense pain or anything but he was getting tingles on me which is better than most people ever get. My wrists are so flexible that I usually feel nothing. So I learned tons. One of the funnier moments is when he pins me. I tap out but he's discussing the pin with the instructor so he doesn't hear my tap... so I tap out louder and more frequently. He says.... "OH!".

The day terminated with some kind of judo like technique where you raise uke up and reach down and grab the leg. Uke does a side breakfall.

DAPI: 3
Wrist hurts from Sankyo from wednesdays class

2 Comments:

At May 02, 2006 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The grab-the-leg throw is called Aiki-Otoshi... it's an Aikido throw, not a Judo throw.
I'm sure your instructor can give you the nikkyo pin much harder if you want to really feel pain... just ask him!!

 
At May 02, 2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Oh.... the instructor can do it quite well. Don't worry. I just thought it was neat that I learned as much as the student he was giving the tip to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home