Sunday, February 11, 2007

Holy Mackeral I'm Losing It

I think I've been to about 4 classes since I posted last. My new job is consuming lots of my time. Add to that some house remodeling and I guess I'm happy I have time to even go to class.

This morning I went to class again. We did a ton of ushiro stuff. I had a couple strange ukemi moments. We were doing hip throws. For some reason on one throw I landed badly and actually got the wind knocked out of me for about a half second. That was fairly unusual. I hadn't had that happen in a real long time. Not too long after, nage was throwing me for a hip throw but something odd happened. I became disoriented during the throw and by the time I figured things out I was headed head first toward the mat with my belly down a little. My first thoughts were the following in this order....

"How the hell did I get here?"
"Wow... interesting... falling at this angle could hurt or injure me badly.... I should do something to protect my head/neck"

I have no idea what exactly I did next as it was 100% instinct. Somehow I rolled very gently out of it.

The only thing I can think of is that nage didn't throw me with tons of force but got me up in the air. Because I didn't have enough momentum to go over... I headed straight down head first. I'm guessing that I got a hand down with an unbendable arm and tucked my head in. The first couple of moments seemed to last about 10 minutes and the last moment where I did something about it is sort of blacked out of my memory. I'm told it looked very graceful. I was never in a panicked state but I couldn't begin to tell you if you did that to me 10 times how many times would I succeed in landing nicely.

DAPI: 1
I'm sure I'll feel fine in the morning

2 Comments:

At February 15, 2007 1:58 PM, Blogger uchi deshi said...

I've had some scary experiences like that, too. So far, I've come out of it okay.

 
At February 22, 2007 12:39 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

It wasn't scary for me. I had concerns about landing well in that microsecond of time. Then a half second of no concious thought as the reptile brain kicked in. Really weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home