Thursday, February 15, 2007

Monday Night

There is a test coming soon so we've been reviewing a lot of 3rd through 5th kyu techniques. Although I have the hours, I'm not going to be testing as yet. A lot of the test I feel better prepared for than in my last test but there are some things I just don't know well enough.

We started with some shihonage. Then for the folks who already passed the 5th kyu test, they had us working on doing the shihonage by actually throwing in 4 directions. I've always been curious about this. Although I've done the technique before this was one of those cases where I'm just seeing more.

Later on we did some ura version of nikkyo. This is something I really need to practice. At one point I had this down fairly well, but seems I can't get this one without fumbling around for a while. Now... I could just get my attacker to stand there for 5 seconds while I fiddle around everything will be fine.

We did some kokyu ho. I was partner for a time with one of our larger guys (who resists a lot). He's perfect for this kind of practice. He's way stronger than me and outweighs me by quite a bit, so if I can move him, I'm doing fairly well. I noticed I had better results for him if I cheated a bit by making a larger circle so that I'm leading his hand up higher over his head.

DAPI: 1

2 Comments:

At February 20, 2007 8:42 PM, Blogger uchi deshi said...

I think if you know the techniques, you might as well test when you get the hours - I'm never satisfied with my performance and have decided to just test when Sensei tells me to test and get it over with.

 
At February 22, 2007 12:32 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I might feel that way when I'm further along. My ura versions of nikkyo and sankyo need work. My sankyo is probably messy, the nikkyo I lost the hand positions somewhere. I used to be able to do this technique better. Of course at the time I had the Kendo instructor as a partner.

No instructor asked me to test and rightly so at this point. I really, really, want to pass the test well, not just squeak by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home