Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Friday Class and Some Monday Class or Other

On Friday nights class we did a bunch of hip throws.... then a few suwariwaza ikkyo, then ... back to the hip throws. I was very lucky that I had Sam for a partner for this. I hadn't seen him in a while. This guy has more martial arts knowledge than I can articulate. I believe he is our Kendo Instructor. Normally I may complain about the 'talking partner' but this is like having an instructor for a partner. With just a little bit of help I was doing some really decent hip throws.

Unfortunately, one hip throw I took I landed badly. I landed on my own hand. My thumb hurt quite a bit as if I'd extended it in an unnatural position. I don't think I popped it out or anything but I do believe it was sprained.


Monday.....

Buddy warmed us up. Buddy doesn’t seem to linger on any stretch and just seems anxious to move on to the next one. I really wish he’d slow down a bit. Then they had us just doing our own ukemi width wise. It looked like the latest beginners class started rolling some. The newest 5th kyus that just took their test are looking pretty good.

Mr. Mulligan started us off with that simple ki exercise where uke grabs your wrist and you just tenkan. Then he had us do the tenkan and move our partner around with our center by moving our bodies and keeping the hand position. Mr. Mulligan asked us to work with the new students so I worked with Jose. He doesn’t speak much English but it doesn’t matter much really.

I had Joanna for a partner for the next chunk of class. It’s been a while(months maybe) since I got to work with her.

Finally Bob showed so he added on to the tenkan concept a bit. He had us do the tenkan and then make a circular motion with our hand so uke can take a roll. We did this for a while.

Then, he had us do a tsuki strike and asked us to just do a tenkan and lay our hand on top of uke’s. This reminded me of the tsuki kotagaeshi we did for 5th kyu. I noticed though that Bob was more going backward than back to back. Noticing this doesn't mean I managed to replicate it exactly.

After doing this he had us tsuki and then step back and a little offline over and over. Then he had us tsuki strike, step off line and had uke tsuki strike again with the other hand where we again moved off the line and put our hand on top of uke’s. So, it was kind of a punch/punch combination.
Then I ended up switching partners and worked with Buddy for a while.

Bob then modified it so we did the punch, punch but the second punch was either met with a kotagaeshi or you did a quick move where you sort of grab the front of the fist, use the other hand to push down on the arm a bit offbalancing uke and just gently push uke back by turning your center and watch him fall down.

We did some more of the combination stuff. Then we did a punch, punch, front kick. So nage had to move back slap uke’s hand down, move back slap uke’s hand down, tenkan and catch foot. Then do the same push with the foot that we were doing with the hand.

Then the warm down with suwariwaza, although he stopped us and asked us to really practice getting around the force and not bother do much with trying to do anything fancy.

I was putting my shoes on out front and Mr. Mulligan commented how soft I looked during class. I told him I tend to be more relaxed when I have a Monday following my three day weekend. Therefore…. Work must be bad for you. He liked my logic.

DAPI: 4
Thumb still hurts. Although I now have range of motion improved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home