Monday, July 02, 2007

My Understanding of Ukemi Has Changed

I attended two classes again tonight. I started off at Shodokan where Bob taught.

We covered tsuki kotagaeshi, yokomenuchi kotagaeshi, HH kotagaeshi, and some shihonage. For the shihonage we really paid lots of attention to where we are placing uke. Luckily we changed partners a bit. I usually like mixing it up. My knee held up well. After class someone else asked me to help them for their 5th kyu test. I'm happy to help.

Then... off to Beverly I went. The only thing I want to mention was the ukemi aspect. We were doing a lot of the techniques I remember doing last week except my understanding of the ukemi has changed. After watching me a bit, Mike (who was teaching) said, "I'm going to fix you". "I'm not sure how... but we are going to fix that". He watched me a couple more times and determined what was wrong. The technique called for a side ukemi. What I was doing before was trying to almost jump up and over. What I needed to do is to bend way over with one foot in the air and one foot planted, then go up and over. I don't know how may times I witnessed this but yet never really saw it. I didn't see the details. So for the most part I was doing this better for the whole class. Now that I'm aware of it, I can work on it a bit. If nothing else this has been one of the largest learning steps I've had in a while.

Two classes made me tired. I'll sleep well tonight.

4 Comments:

At July 03, 2007 1:07 PM, Blogger uchi deshi said...

Sometimes I think ukemi is the most fun.

 
At July 04, 2007 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious, what does HH kote gaeshi mean?

 
At July 04, 2007 10:25 PM, Blogger ZeppoManx said...

I found your blog from the Uchi Deshi link and liked what I found.

I just started my own blog describing (among other things) being an Aikido novice at 50 years old.
http://zeppomanx.blogspot.com

FYI, it looks like the image for your profile is missing.

I will put your blog on my regular blog check routine.

thanks

 
At July 05, 2007 8:44 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

To answer questions.....

HH = hanmi handachi
This means nage is in a kneeling position of sorts and uke is attacking while standing.

Kotagaeshi is a technique where the wrist is turned a certain way. I have now doubt if you do a search on youtube.com that you'll turn an example up.

Hi Zeppomanx!
You have a terrific blog. What I like most about it is that you're somehow able to construct an english sentence. At one point in my life I was able to do this as well but my job has beat that out of me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home