Sunday, August 26, 2007

Good Morning Mr. Tsuki

Home life interfered and I barely made it to class today. Frankly, if I didn't need to pretest and say I was coming to fellow students and instructors I likely would have skipped todays class. I'm not 100% sure what I'll be doing tomorrow.

I have no idea whats going on with me. It could simply be too many classes in a period of time combined with the hot weather. I felt terrible this morning. Started off with some light ukemi and then went into a lot of exercises designed to aid in freestyle. Usually, we focus on one attack and learn a specific response. Today we worked with many attacks to work with multiple responses. Well, it didn't start that way. At first we were limited in what we were supposed to do, but towards the end of class it was fairly open.

At one point to have some predictability and yet still have variety, we had three uke's. One always did a shomen strike, the second did a yokomen strike and the third did a tsuki strike. Shihonage, udekimenage, koshinage, kotagaeshi were all encouraged. The usual windmill thing you see in videos was shown as well but not focused on much.

On any other day this would have been an awesome class. I wasn't the only casualty. I was just about ready to ask permission to take a break, something I've never done in a class, when one of the guys threw his back out. I figured I could stick it out a while longer.

At the end of class, we reviewed my 4th kyu test again. I did pretty much as I expected. Not nearly as polished as I'd like. The instructor was my uke for the suwari waza though. I think I got a good nikkyo on him which is good. I usually can line things up fairly well. I've always been ok at it but I had a class a couple months back focusing on how to do a floating nikkyo. That worked as well as you lined it up. This taught me a bit about how to line up a regular nikkyo.

Some good things I was doing... I was peeling ukes hand off my collar well for the grabs. I seem to do the ushiro stuff better dynamically. I think there is too much delay in my technique. It wasn't always like this though. Somehow along the line I started pausing mid technique for a half a second.

My elbows and forearms were killing me from the earlier practice. I wasn't protecting myself as well as I normally do.

After class I helped Eric with his upcoming 5th kyu test. I just ran through his test with him. Lots of little things I noticed but I didn't say a word about them. It's probably better for him to figure the stuff out on his own anyway. The only thing I reminded him about was how he chooses to do shihonage. He has his arm way out and there is a safety issue for someone who can't breakfall. He's going to do fine for his test.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow for class. I usually do a double. Right now I fell pretty good. For the first time in 3 days I feel normal. I think I've been walking around dehydrated for days.

No matter what I'll at least attend Salem to watch or offer to join the beginners class if they need me there for anything.

Coolest thing I saw today.... perhaps tsuki shihonage. You just blend with the attack and take the arm as usual. Neat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home