Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday Morning

Pretty much spent most of the time with yokomen attacks.
Udekimenage, kaitenage, koshinage.

The one test technique we did from my 4th kyu test was yokomenuchi shihonage. For some reason it seemed unfamiliar. Then it hit me. Alan is the one that seems to cover this technique. He enters in for it by stepping in and matching uke's attack. I'm not 100% sure but I think Peter did it with a step offline. Both corect of course but which one I'm expected to do on the test I have no idea.

At the end of class I went through my test quickly with some help. I didn't feel as smooth/fluid as I once was on a couple of the techniques. It could have just been my normal Sunday morning fuzziness. Frankly, I feel as though I'm easily capable on any given day in passing this test but I wish I had a little more time to work the kinks out.

:(

My other problem is uke troubles. There are a good number of people testing and a couple people begged off as they are themselves testing or already acting as uke. In one case, the guy moved out of state. Then I was sick and unable to talk to anyone. So I'm likely drawing a random uke at this point. I'm actually ok with this but if I get someone more experienced and uninjured I'll be likely to do a better test. I'm not sure if the instructors realize this because the guy doesn't really complain but there is this one large 5th kyu who actually has a torn rotator in his right arm. So, when I do shihonage and other techniques I'm careful to treat that arm differently.

I had an interesting conversation with someone on the way out the door today. He'll be testing for 5th kyu at the upcoming test. I asked him how I was to work with after he came out of the beginners class. I was surprised by his answer. He said that what he learned was that going into a class with a totally relaxed attitude was best. He said when he first started working with me I was doing techniques well enough and that he wasn't moving where he was supposed to. This usually resulted in some discomfort. He said fairly soon he learned to move and not resist. I'm pretty sure that I never push my uke's past their limits but this concersation makes me want to be extra aware of what I'm doing in the future.

3 Comments:

At August 20, 2007 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are still training and making entries here. I enjoy reading your blog.

Regarding Bob's comment about seeing elements of the other dojo in your technique, I have seen that happen at seminars, where the differences between instructors can be extreme. One example is nikyo. I've seen one shihan keep pushing further straihgt down until the uke was flat down on his belly and had no where to go. And then I saw another shihan who made the initial take down with pressure straight down on the joint, then changed to a spiraling motion to bring uke the rest of the way down.

When you are relatively new sometimes you just don't see the differences, and it is good to just get through the class. With more experienced people it is interesting to watch. You will see some black belts completely look like beginners when they try doing even a basic technique in a new way.

Good luck with jumping back and forth. Your differences can't be too big, right? All the teachers trained under Mr. Mulligan, afterall.

 
At August 20, 2007 11:34 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I just try to do whatever the instructor is showing, the way he is showing it. It's an interesting mental exercise to not do it the way 'you know'. I'm sure I don't succeed all the time but I try.

It is true that all the instructors learned quite a bit from Mr. Mulligan, however, I even see differences within individual dojos

Actually, this is part cause of my stressing over the upcoming test. Alan enters in and does an atemi for yokomenuchi shihonage, Peter was doing it differently on Sunday with a step off line. Which do they want for the test? I have no idea. I'm guessing as long as you pick one, and can do it effectively you're in good shape.

I have no idea what version of ushiro kotagaeshi they want. Oh... and just to make things more interesting. I was told by some sempai that Mr Mulligan wanted to see the shomenuchi nikkyo a little different. Rather than moving around uke, and rotating your thumb around to get the nikkyo grip, he told me that we needed to do something more like an omote nikkyo, rotate your hand around for the grip, and then bring it to your shoulder. Basically make sure that you have control over uke.

 
At August 21, 2007 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Mr. Mulligan is the judge, is there a way to find out from him which version he wants to see for the test? Then you would know exactly what he thinks is important.

"Effectiveness" would seem to be a good criteria to over-ride small differences, but then who can really judge effectiveness, and the particular small differences might be especially importantant to the judge.

Good luck on your test prep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home