Friday, October 19, 2007

Great Class

Last night was a success or sorts. At least I was paying attention to my surroundings. A couple times during the night I was thrown in such a way that I had to be careful not to land on someone. One throw had me going into the wall or sensei or something. I glanced quickly picked the most open spot I could find and rolled that way. The second was my taking a kotegaeshi from someone. They were doing it so strongly that I felt the need to breakfall out of it. Unfortunately, there was a third person sitting on the mat waiting for his turn right where I needed to land. So after glancing and taking it all in, I did the breakfall and tucked my legs in a little to avoid hitting anyone. I was pretty psyched.

Techniques he has us doing included, tenchinage omote and ura versions, a couple different kokyunages. I did really well on one of them. You start with a two hand grab, do a tenkan, bring one arm across the front of your body and use your arm to push uke down. Mr. Mulligan thought I did that pretty well.

Then we did a wrist grab version of kotegaeshi. Turn your body and arm, slip the wrist out of uke’s grip, re-grip and tenkan for the kotegaeshi. Mr. Mulligan moved me into a different pair for this technique. There was some new guy on the mat who hadn’t trained in about 10 years or so. So, even though he looked like he was in reasonable shape he was sucking wind somewhat fierce. I tried to keep the pace slow for him. A couple of times he asked me and Ariel to take another turn so he could rest. This was actually the guy who had the strong kotegaeshi. I got tired of him almost torquing my wrist so I started breakfalling. Once I started doing that he really started cranking on me because he knew that I’d be fine. That’s when Mr. Mulligan made him back off and do it in a more friendly way. I was fine but maybe the next guy that works with him wouldn’t be.

Mr. Mulligan has been nice enough to give me a few corrections once in a while. I still look down for kotegaeshi. This screws up my posture. One time he told me to relax a little more for a technique.

Great class.

2 Comments:

At October 24, 2007 8:35 AM, Blogger Scott Zrubek said...

Out kote-gaeshi tends to lock up the elbow to shoulder connection. I never really notice a wrist crank.

How do ya'll position your hands for kote? We try to have both thumbs about an inch below the middle finger joint. We then wrap our other fingers around the wrist joint, encompassing a couple of inches of the lower arm at the same time.

 
At October 25, 2007 8:34 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Most of the time.... I believe we go a little higher with a thumb on the back of ukes hand. The other hand frequently would be used to cover the back of uke's hand. For the most part its all done on the hand.

Now, other nights with other instructors I've seen a different version very close to what you're suggesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home