Sunday, November 25, 2007

Apparently a Test Is Coming

I won't be testing as I just tested in August or so. I know there is a 3rd kyu and a 4th kyu test. I think it may be Wednesday this week. This morning's class was excellent. We did some freestyle training. Instead of using one attack and trying different responses. We tend to focus on multiple attacks with a varying response.

So... we did Shihonage, ude kiminage, kotagasehi, and a couple other techniques.... all in response to a yokomen, shomen and tsuki strike.

Not the best freestyle I've ever done. I had a couple moments where I paused. One of the pauses was not actually my wondering where to go. I had a tsuki strike. I moved off the line, slapped my hand on top to end up with a nikkyo grip and was ready to move in for a hip throw. Unfortunately, this was all done without much thought. We just covered this kind of thing in Beverly and I guess some f it stuck. I never completed the throw because the person doing the attack has had a bad back. I didn't want to complete it. I suppose just for practice I could have at least lifted him. Still, I've done better in the past.

My biggest problem was trying to anticipate an attack and a response. When a different one came I locked up. I definitely need to stop anticipating and keep practicing.

The holidays this past week combined with my relatives visiting messed me up enough that I've missed a couple classes the past few weeks. Definitely a bummer.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night.

6 Comments:

At November 29, 2007 3:30 PM, Blogger uchi deshi said...

How often do you do freestyle? In theory we do it at the end of every class, although it doesn't always work out like that. At my old school we did it rarely, and it was much harder to do. Now that we're more accustomed to it, it goes more smoothly, although I do the same thing as you - if I anticipate the wrong attack I can get hung up. Especially when I think they're doing a shomen and I step to the outside, and they do a yokomen instead! Oops.

 
At November 29, 2007 11:00 PM, Blogger ZeppoManx said...

We only practice freestyle in little bits, but I wonder if the more you practice it the more you can relax in the non-freestyle parts?

 
At November 30, 2007 12:59 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Salem seems to like the freestyle thing.

We practice freestyle infrequently. You have to remember of course that we have relatively few high level kyu's in a typical class.

It's stressed more around test time. They have been known to ask people to test against more uke's than a test is called for. I believe the last 3rd kyu test I witnessed back in August had 3 uke's. They were fairly serious about going after him. They brought it up to a medium pace I'd guess. No one was walking around waiting for a turn. They also seemed to be picking their punches realistically and not just walking up and punching mindlessly.

The practices in class are at the nage's level. Anywhere between 1-3 uke's usually for the 3rd to 5th kyu nage's. They are less intense and sometimes limited in how you are allowed to attack or respond.

We may cover three techniques and be asked to respond with one of them. Now. if you end up somewhere else go ahead and do something different but be aware of uke's abilities.

Even with these limitations there is still value in the exercise. You still get an adrenaline dump you have to learn to control. At times I stand there wondering what to do (other than something non-aikido like), and still on one occasion I had a terrific run. I mixed things up and went with the flow.

 
At November 30, 2007 1:10 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Relaxing in non-freestyle parts.

Which kind of relaxing do you mean?

Being relaxed as you perform a technique? Being relaxed taking a ukemi? Not being relaxed because you think your going to get hit by uke?

They are all a little different. What aspect of practice?

 
At December 10, 2007 1:00 PM, Blogger Scott Zrubek said...

How's life? Haven't seen anything on the blog in a bit. Hope everything's ok.

 
At December 11, 2007 9:59 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Everythings fine.... just ridiculously busy.

I have been to class 3-4 times a week as usual.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home