Friday, November 23, 2007

Monday Night - Oh Gosh!

Actually it was ogoshi I believe. Lots of them. Mike doesn't often hang around on one technique for a whole class but he felt as though driliing basics is important once in a while.

So we did this from a wrist grab, a collar grab with a nikkyo, and a tsuki. Usually, you eventually end up with a cross hand grab. Turn uke away from you, taking their balance, move in for the throw.

At one point they had me throwing Matt so they could watch carefully and give corrections. I had him in such the perfect place that it was throwing a feather. I wish I could do that every time.

I did fairly well compared to the past. So there was improvement. I still need practice here though. The past few months has been the first chunk of time where the thought of having to do hip throws didn't fill me with some apprehension. I just didn't like the ukemi for that. Nowadays I'm much more comfortable with it. At least I didn't have any problems with someone keeping my slap hand.

We've been doing hip throws in Salem quite a bit too. Bummer is that more often than not my partner doesn't let go of my slap hand. Recently I had Eric grab my slap hand and wouldn't let it go dumping me flat on my back. He managed this twice. While it is true that he is newer, I've had the same thing happen to me a while back with a more experienced member of our dojo. For whatever reason, he didn't let go either on our first throw. As soon as he let go, I slapped the mat hard with that hand and realization washed over his face.

In both cases my partners were apologizing like crazy. No real harm done. Although, I would think it would be harder to remember to support your partner properly than to let go of a slap hand.

4 Comments:

At November 29, 2007 3:27 PM, Blogger uchi deshi said...

That can be a real shock when you're about to go over and you realize they're not going to let go of your slap hand! It used to mess me up completely! Now, I seem to manage okay. I'm not sure what I do - I think I tuck my shoulder, and it works out fine. I notice that when people throw me jujigarame, they almost always forget to let go of the slap hand, but, oddly enough, that fall doesn't really bother me without the slap hand. I guess I'm getting used to it!

 
At November 30, 2007 1:14 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

The particular fall that nages love to keep my hand for is usually some kind of hip throw. This way they can make sure you land flat on your back.

Most of the time it's fine but this night I felt like I had 25% of the wind knocked out of me. Not hard enough to stun me or anything. Just hard enough for me to notice and think..... oh man... that sucked.

 
At December 10, 2007 12:32 PM, Blogger Kira said...

Do you breathe out before you land? That will keep you from getting the wind knocked out. And, like uchi deshi said, tucking your shoulder should really help.

 
At December 11, 2007 9:57 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I do try to breathe out. About 4 months in I had reason to train with someone who mentioned it.

He said the breathing out habit was terrible when he went surfing. Before you go under its a good idea to take a nice breath. His aikido habit had him exhaling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home