Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Had Fun WIth It

One of the more interesting exercises we did in Salem on Monday was just doing a little bit of freestyle with a partner. A lot of the practice was trying to get us to flow from one technique to another. So what we were supposed to be doing is use a particular entry to move out of the way for a yokomen strike and then uke is supposed to attack again in whatever way they felt like. Nage was allowed to respond in any way they felt like.

I tried to mix it up a bit, kotagaeshi, shinhonage (even from tsuki), kaitenage just came up more than a couple of times. I tried not to plan the response but to just react to the attack.

So more than a few times I ended up with uke in an ikkyo after the second attack. I turned this into nikkyo, sankyo, even an udegarami. I ended up with a sumi otoshi at one point. I was even thinking of doing a yonkyo but held off until my partner suggested it first by trying it. He didn't quite get it on me. I was thrilled to give it a shot as it's only been recent that I've been able to get the nerve at all. I did one on each arm on my partner for my turn and then did something else. To repeat my instructors, a little yonkyo goes a long way. I know I got one side better than the other because he mentioned after class that one side still hurt.

The end of class had Bob speaking about the importance of intensity in one's practice.

After sweeping up, I stayed for a few minutes to help go through the 4th kyu test requirements with one of the students. He actually won't have enough hours to test at the end of March but wanted to go over it anyway so I was happy to help.


After this... I headed off to Beverly. It was a relatively light night at Beverly. We did line work the whole time. Really trying to get the movements correct. Bringing uke of balance just right so the throw is easier. Somehow I ended up at the front of the line so I got to watch it one time through before my turn. I only did so-so. I would have loved to go tonight. My understanding is that they are doing some partner exercises with the jo.

One other thing of note. Kim asked me to uke for him for the test at the end of next month. I told him I would be there. Already cleared it with the wife. It's the least I can do for my old practice partner. I'm curious to see how he'll do. His knees aren't in very good shape and there is some suwari waza for that test. I'd like to suggest to him that he focuses on maintaining control of uke. Even if you can't move around too well, you can move around some and show control of your partner.

2 Comments:

At February 21, 2008 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes one can get an accommodation on a test to avoid injury or work within a handi-cap. If your partners knees are really bad he may be able to speak with the instructor and see if the technique can be done standing or substituted for some additional skill.

 
At February 22, 2008 11:40 AM, Blogger uchi deshi said...

Having fun with it is the most important thing, I think. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home