Friday, March 07, 2008

Dawn Is Back

Some yudansha who currently resides in Oregon showed up again. I believe I saw her a year ago. She has some history with Mr. Mulligan and the members of the dojo.

She led us through ukemi warm ups one night. She emphasized soft falls. It was interesting. Always cool to get exposed to new ideas.

Well, if you're into art here is a link to some of her work.

http://www.dawnemerson.com/Portfolio-NW.htm

I worked with her during Alan's class on Friday. Actually, come to think of it, I got to take ukemi for Alan. He asked me to work with him for a moment and then asked if I ever did a breakfall for this technique. My answer. No. Alan: Want to try? Me: Sure. We did a couple of throws and they were actually quite comfortable. Not a tough technique to breakfall out of. So I took ukemi for the technique. Very fun one for ukemi.

As for Dawn. Love to see her come by again. I wonder if she teaches where she lives?

4 Comments:

At March 11, 2008 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dawn is great to work with. She is so flexible and so centered. I think this is the most chalenging combination of elemnts to off balance and throw. I also think developing balace, flexibility and stable center are what is at the essence of aikido. Our physical stregth will wane with age but building power through balance,flexibility and centering will continue to grow with age if we focus on these elements durring training. This is the water side of aikido. It is important to develop an understanding of fire and earth durring traing but I thing water quenches fire and turns earth to mud. so ultimatly if we can master the water element of aikido we can practice into old age without damaging our bodies. Rob from beverly

 
At March 11, 2008 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob you are just so insightful and amazing... you must be a really accomplished teacher

 
At March 12, 2008 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not an accoplished teacher, but also not an accomplished asshole. these ideas are my interpretation of Sekia Sensei 7th dan. he was an amazing teacher who visited salem from japan for many consecutive years. at 78 these were the principles he stress for training.Balance, flexability, soft knees low center good posture.

 
At March 18, 2008 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you misunderstood, meant as a compliment but perhaps I should reconsider given your reactive opening statement...

also, never heard of this teacher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home