Sunday, March 30, 2008

I Need An Instant Replay

We did a bunch of stuff as usual. One particular technique/exercise I'd like to focus on a bit. It had a yokomenuchi strike. It ends with you basically grabbing uke's striking arm (well the wrist really) and pulling down as you go down to one knee. You could do a variation for not going down for those of you who don't like the idea of going down.

The part that I was thinking about after practice was .... as you throw, I stepped forward and went down on a knee. I did this because it felt natural for the spacing. But.... I was wondering what it would feel like if I forced myself to not take the step. What if I instead, just went straight down right there. I'll have to try that out some time. I have no idea if the instructor was taking a step. I always want to watch it again.

4 Comments:

At March 31, 2008 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did the instructor do it? Was it one step back as uke attacked, then drop down? I think I've seen something like that at a seminar.

 
At March 31, 2008 6:39 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I'm not sure what he did... this is why I want to watch him again. I'm almost sure he took the step though.

It was some kind of aikido-like otoshi.

 
At March 31, 2008 6:41 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Oh... wait... I just read your comment again. How we got there is kind of unimportant.

Eventually, you end up with uke's wrist and elbow in your hands. You end up stepping in front of uke and pull uke down (in the same direction he was moving) in a circle as you go down to one knee. The circle going from upper right down to your lower left if uke is on your left to start with.

 
At March 31, 2008 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, does this sound correct:

Uke steps with the right foot and strikes with the right hand, the nage steps back with the left foot (or forward with the right), catches the wrist with the left hand and the elbow with the right hand, then drops the left knee to the mat, bringing uke down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home