Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Monday Night

I was needed at home once again so I couldn't make it to Salem's 6pm class. I did however make it to the late Beverly class.

Mike stretched us out and had us doing ukemi. For this particular class he had us doing Ikkyo, Nikkyo, and then Sankyo.

It was nice to practice these. I worked on my timing and tried to figure out if I could get my hips involved in any of this. I can't say why but I love nikkyo and sankyo. For the Sankyo, I think Alan noticed last Friday that I let myself get next to uke instead of moving down in front of him.
I've seen different sankyo's. In both Salem and Beverly (no surprise here) they both teach that you keep uke's upper arm sort of parallel to the mat with the elbow at a 90 degree angle, and you use it as a lever to help get uke moving where you want. You retreat in front of uke and go down with him(make sure uke is going down first though).

For the nikkyo I was doing a fairly good job of finding it. There was a class in Beverly a while back where I did an "aha!". This was after seeing Mike demo it again. Ever since I now at least understand the geometry on how to get a good nikkyo without resorting to huge movements.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch the early class in Salem this week.

4 Comments:

At April 10, 2008 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you notice any differences in the techniques between the way Salem does them and the way Beverly does them?

 
At April 11, 2008 10:23 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

This is an interesting question.

What I've found is that even within a single dojo several instructors may have slightly different 'styles'.

They may all be teaching the same way of doing things but there are differences in how they do it. Usually the difference is what they are doing with their hips/body. It's hard to explain. For example... One teacher tends to move his hips quite a bit in and out in larger circles for things like shihonage and kotagaeshi. Another is using his hips but its not as obvious.

I could go on and on about this one. It's actually one of the things I've come to like about working with so many different instructors. You really end up watching what each one is doing. At this point I tend to try and do what the current instructor is doing and compare in my head what's going on.

 
At April 12, 2008 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I was just curious about how the close the versions were to each other since the instructors were all together so long.

I imagine things will naturally diverge after awhile.

I'm at a dojo that is a "sibling" dojo to other dojos who all had the same teacher. They must each have a developed their own flavor.

 
At April 14, 2008 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the end Aikido must become part of the individual. There are changes that are natural outcomes of body type and personality. It is unavoidable that instructors even in the same dojo will have differences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home