Monday, July 14, 2008

Another Look At Tenchinage

I've had bunches of all great classes in the past few weeks. Tonight I noticed something I hadn't seen before.

We were doing tenchinage. After class I had a quick conversation with Mike about it to sort of confirm what I saw. I didn't have a chance to experiment with it in practice.

Over time, I thought I saw tenchinage one way.... then another. Now, I noticed something else. The heaven hand I always thought snaked it's way up close to uke. I did this in some attempt to get around any possible resistance uke was giving. What Mike was doing instead tonight was cool. He did a similar motion but drew uke forward a little. This has the effect that when uke is drawn back with the earth hand his balance is already broken. Uke ends up in a position where
he is leaning backwards already.

The closest feeling I can think of is when I've done a tenkan version of tenchinage. I've brought uke around and as uke comes foward you can take advantage of that motion. This is just like that but without the tenkan.

Now the scary thing is that at times I have a pretty good memory. I specifically remember seeing Mike do this the same way before. I just never noticed the heaven hand doing it's thing.

Next time I hit the mat I'm going to play with this a little to see if what I saw I can put into practice.

1 Comments:

At July 15, 2008 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the cool thing about aikido...there is continual discovery...even after years of practice. Personally I try to combine the drawing forward that Mike does with the snaking up the center, but that's because I'm a shorty and need to get inside more on that technique. But again, the cool thing about aikido is there are numerous variations and unfolding levels of discovery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home