Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Quiet Improvement

Just before I toasted my ankle we were working on some aikido techniques that I still need practice on. For whatever reason, I give a floating hip to just about every hip throw I can. Not sure when I developed that little bit of muscle memory but it's bad when I have trouble shutting it off.

Anyway.... there is a particular technique that I've never been able to do at all until this class. It's a grab, lift, throw kind of thing. Can't remember the name but it translates to something like that. You essentially grab uke's sleeve/wrist, get really low, extend your arm up as far as possible. You should pretty much have a straight arm. Then pull uke forward over your lower back.

In the past when I tried this I could never even get in the correct position. For whatever reason I just started it doing it. Maybe not perfect every time but at least I'm getting in the correct spot and doing what feels to me an effortless throw.

This is how it is sometimes. It just sneaks up on you. I just showed up and was able to do something I never could before. It's kind of odd that you all of a sudden are able to do something when you hadn't even practiced it. Sometimes progress occurs over time whether you realize it or not.

3 Comments:

At November 11, 2008 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like tsurikomi goshi That's a good one!

 
At November 14, 2008 8:50 AM, Blogger rebecca said...

Hi, Eric,

Is that the one where you can make the difficulty of straightening your arm (which, cause I'm short, is a pain) easier by making yourself lower?

 
At November 14, 2008 9:54 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Thats the one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home