Monday, November 10, 2008

Uh Oh.... I Finally Got Myself Injured

Friday night we were working on some good defensive techniques. My nage did exactly what he was supposed to do and I ended up hopping back(not unusual for what we were doing). The first hop was a big one. I came down with all my weight plus the energy of the motion right down on my right ankle. I turned my ankle inward. I knew as soon as I did it that it was going to hurt some. I crawled myself off into the corner and a bazillion ice packs were tossed my way. I wrapped it up immediately and watched the rest of the class.

After class I changed, borrowed a compression bandage and somehow managed to hop to my car and drive home. Once I got home I realized how bad it was. It swelled up some. There was a pretty good ache when I moved it. I couldn't put any weight on it.

I sat around the entire weekend letting it rest and it's been healing rapidly. Today I could actually walk on it (with a limp). Any time I try to get up to do anything my wife is all over me to get me to rest it. Overall, I've done pretty well at keeping off of it.

This means of course... no aikido till the ankle is strong enough. I'm hoping it will feel good enough by Friday but I may give it a little more time.

7 Comments:

At November 10, 2008 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious - what technique were you doing when you got hurt?

 
At November 10, 2008 7:50 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

We were practicing a kick defense. In order to do that uke has to kick. For this particular exercise uke ends up getting shoved back as nage enters.

 
At November 10, 2008 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you up on one foot, with the other foot in nage's hand?

 
At November 11, 2008 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good time to read Aikido books, watch classes while taking notes, and watch Aikido videos. Happy Healing!

 
At November 11, 2008 4:29 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I thought about watching a class but I couldn't even leave the house. I probably should have gotten a crutch somewhere. Luckily I was able to stay off it for days which led to a lot of healing. Today I am limping around ok.
I MAY be able to start aikido again as early as Friday.

 
At November 11, 2008 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you have ruled out that you haven't damaged it so badly that you can have a permanent weakness/injury... you assumption is that it's just a sprain? How soon did it bruise? Did you ice it over the next few days and then go to contrast etc. Can you turn it and what are you doing now for rehab? Don't be too cavalier about this.

 
At November 12, 2008 1:30 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I'd be more concerned but the rate at which it's healing has been excellent. I literally was off of it for all but 15 minutes the first two days. I was icing it as well.

There is no grinding in the foot and I don't seem to have lost any range of motion or strength. Squeezing the foot in any direction does not hurt.

I didn't really notice(though I think it was there) any bruising until 3 days later when I noticed a slight purple hue to the right side of my foot. This is now gone. The bulk of the swelling was gone after the first night.

Today(5 days later) it feels good enough that I went to work. I worked from home the past couple days.

At this point I'm not doing any real 'rehab' other than keeping off of it and I massage it to stimulate blood flow into the area.

I can stand on it with all my weight if I wish comfortably... its now at the point that flexing it with weight on it (eg. stairs) still bothers me some.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home