Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Box Delivery

It is very likely that the Salem dojo will be moving locations soon. The call went out to ask people to bring boxes in so we could pack up. I may be wrong but I'm thinking that moving will be no trivial task. I almost feel like everyone is underestimating the effort. That dojo and Mr. Mulligan's office in particular has a great deal of stuff. I'm guessing that we'll need 15 boxes minimum just to move the office. I'm particularly concerned with the new space and any possible work that needs to get done.
Anyway.... I brought a bunch in along with packing material. If I can, I'm going to see if I can get another bunch from somewhere else.

Class last night focused on fluidity of movement and intent. We set lines up. The first person does a tsuki strike and you tenkan/roll around that and move with intent to the next person who will do a collar grab with the intention of striking you.

So we were practicing different aspects of this. We practiced the tenkan/roll against the tsuki strike and then we did some collar grab exercises. What we were supposed to be doing at one point was to come under the grab hand, backhand uke's face (putting your hips into it) and when uke reacts by blocking... take it into an ikkyo to sankyo. Then he had us take the sankyo and step back, pivot and throw uke behind you. It's a dandy little movement actually. Uke really has no choice but to follow because your moving with your center.

As we were practicing the individual elements I found myself automatically responding a few times. I think this is probably a good thing. It's become annoying though. I'm attempting to do the ikkyo from a collar grab but the instant my collar was grabbed, I reacted with a nikkyo. I very nearly started the nikkyo motion and had to stop myself so I could do what was being practiced. Now... this wasn't one of those... I 'think' I'll do nikkyo moments... it was an instantaneous reaction to being grabbed in that manner (there was no thought involved). Sort of like the collar grab flipped a switch. I just barely stopped myself before I did any real movement on it.

The other interesting moment was somehow my uke was bent over when I wanted ikkyo but I had an arm and I ended up with a nice wakagatame. It wasn't something I thought about. The arm was just there so that's where I ended up.

Then I had the usual moments of uke stiff arming me during ikkyo.... and without thinking went into an ura version to go around the force. I honestly didn't even realize I did it until Bob came over. Bob said that was fine to do even though that wasn't what we were doing exactly but I should keep in mind to throw the person in the correct direction as really... that's what the lesson is about. It isn't the individual techniques per se that matter but the thought of moving from uke to uke, getting them in each other's way and such.

I did help demo a couple of times with Bob. One time surprised me. Even though he did an atemi earlier I wasn't thinking about it. He did an atemi relatively quickly and I managed to react in time to block my face. Very cool. I'm not actually worried about getting hit, it's not like anyone is trying to mangle you. It's just cool that I reacted. I know at least two fellow students with lots of experience who don't react to an atemi. It's kind of funny. I can only guess that they've never been hit in the face before.

For those who've asked about my knee.... the knees is still a bit sensitive so backward rolls bother me still. Overall... it was just a bad bruise I think.

6 Comments:

At February 25, 2009 4:33 AM, Blogger bakar said...

Use the right moving box. A good packing job starts with strong, sturdy moving boxes. Moving boxes have a seal on the bottom that gives their strength and capacity. That seal will indicate a weight limit and an "Edge Crush Test" rating. 32ect is standard for most moving boxes. 44ect is standard for most wardrobe boxes and larger specialty boxes.

 
At February 25, 2009 10:30 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Wow.... learn something every day.

 
At February 25, 2009 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the move... just move! There are detailed plans already drafted and in place. A lot of us have done this before. The move is also going to be much simpler than in the past because the new place is move in ready... no construction needed... some partition walls to come down only. The building is less than 10 years old... it will be great.

 
At March 02, 2009 6:25 PM, Blogger rebecca said...

Hiya -
Will the rest of the dojo be moving too? Karate, kenpo, etc?

 
At March 02, 2009 8:47 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I'm fairly certain the whole dojo is moving with us.

 
At March 03, 2009 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody's going... all are in agreement and happy about the new digs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home