Friday, February 06, 2009

Learning Lag

Wife was laid up and unable to take off Wednesday night. So.... after I get the kids to bed, what do I do? Run off to a late aikido class!! Ahhh.... she'll be fine.

I swear sometimes when I hit the mat, some aspect of my technique is suddenly improved. This happens even if I hadn't practiced that particular technique in a while. Quite a while ago Mr. Mulligan had us practicing a simple hip throw where uke comes in with something like shomenuchi and you push it back just a bit ikkyo style, step in and do the throw. It's relatively simple and yet I was giving my partner no hip to speak of and generally having a bad time of it. This night for whatever reason I was having more success. I was paying lots of attention on getting my feet together, getting them in the correct place in relation to uke. I wasn't getting low enough for some throws but really... the throws were much improved over the last time I did them.

So I managed to bang my other knee up a bit. The left knee feels great again.... just in time for me to take a bad ukemi and land on the right knee. Nage had done a few of these throws I described above, popped me up in the air and it was neat. You felt like you were floating up there. I'm not sure how high up you really get but when he pops you like that it feels like you're floating way up. Unfortunately, on one throw something about it was different. I frequently can correct my body position a number of ways but I wasn't able to do it. I came down over-rotated so instead of landing flat on the left side.... my right hip was turned more to the ground so that my right knee slammed into the mat. No tendons/ligaments or anything were damaged bad. From the feel of it, I think it's just a bad whack. The skin is still tender to the touch. Suwari waza would be hard for me right now. I've iced it the last couple nights. It'll be fine, it just may hurt for a while. The throw didn't hurt.... just the mat. Darn that mat! I still think that although some injuries are unavoidable, it really is up to uke to protect himself. I'm not sure if there is much I could've done different for this one though.

One thing I want to experiment with. As was mentioned to me.... When doing the technique and starting to push back a bit on uke. I know you don't want to go too far. What I was told to try though was to move uke laterally. So... if you have uke's right arm, aside from pushing back a bit you would also move him a bit to your right. Uke almost has to take a step. This creates a hole for you to step into and uke is easier to get you your hip(rather than our hip getting to uke).

The previous technique was a nice shomenuchi sankyo. Hey... a test technique. Woo hoo. Very cool. Jim gave me a few suggested tweaks to work on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home