Saturday, February 14, 2009

Woohoo.... Double Class

The stars all aligned and the wind blew the right way. I actually was able to attend two classes in Salem last night. It's been a while since I've been able to do two classes in a row. Definitely makes me happy. By the time I got home I was tired enough that I soundly fell asleep early.

I was disappointed about one thing. Scott from http://madmoravian.blogspot.com/ was in town. He was planning on coming to Salem for a visit and a class but he manged to get the pox or something. He decided that taking it easy was better than falling under a bus or killing someone on the mat. He's no fun.

Well... he missed a really fun class or two. Alan's class started with typical ukemi practice but instead of having us do breakfalls on our own, he started a line with a cross hand grab to have the newer folks practice breakfalls with a little help. Those were fun. Good practice, even for me. Why? Because I'm hoping to try different things to see what happens.

Alan kept us quite busy. We did moretetori iriminage, shihonage, kotageashi, udekimenage, suwari waza ikkyo. I had various partners during the night. At one point I had Casey who is a newer guy. Real strong. He resisted a technique at an appropriate time so that I could feel that I was actually doing something wrong. I thanked him and immediately started doing things correctly.

Later on I had Joanna as a partner for the udekimenage. After a bit of practice I showed her how to protect herself as uke by grabbing nage's wrist. It's a good way to protect your elbow if nage is pressuring it too much. I also suggested that she not do that unless she is really feeling like she needs to so she doesn't frustrate nage. After some more practice, I also mentioned to her that you can use that connection with nage to do a breakfall. This puzzled her so I did a couple. Then she did some and thought it was great.

For the second class we did a Friday the 13th class. "When things go wrong". This class consisted of uke grabbing the wrong wrist with the wrong foot underneath, reversals such as shihonage reversals.... and so forth. Great class.

2 Comments:

At February 18, 2009 11:19 AM, Blogger Scott Zrubek said...

I made it home. I finally made it to work. Still in bad shape at about 70% of normal functionality.

I was afraid the plane flight home would never end. It seemed to go on for days.

 
At February 18, 2009 4:52 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

That stinks to get sick while away from home. Sorry you couldn't hit class with me, it was a fun one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home