Monday, April 20, 2009

Who Stole the Kamiza?

Moving is ongoing. There were major amounts of stuff moved out at this point. There used to be quite a few items mounted here and there on the walls. Furniture has been moved or tossed in favor of some newer stuff. The most striking change was walking in to find that the larger portions of the kamiza have been removed. The top piece has been removed along with the lighting. The willow tree pieces on the sides and the shelf have been removed.

http://www.usafaikidonews.com/2004/1/kamiza_4.shtml

I've been to 4 classes since my last entry. I attended 2 classes Friday night. Since I haven't been taking notes, I'm unsure as to what exactly we were working on. I do remember however that by the time Alan's class was over I was about as loose and flexible as I get. I think we did lots of nikkyo. I remember this as I stretched for the second class I realized how much further I could stretch.

Sunday's class is more recent in my mind. We did a bit of tanto disarms. We were supposed to be doing a kotagaehsi. The attack was a collar grab with the tanto on nage's throat. But.... what I ended up instead with wakagatame. This is one of those situations where I have enough muscle memory to do 'something', perhaps even something effective. However... this isn't what I was trying to do. Although Peter thought that was a natural reaction to the attack and let us try that one for a short bit. You'd start out with your hands up in the air in a surrendering like position. You grab the knife hand with your hand opposite the attack. So, if the tanto is on your left side of your neck you would use your right hand to push the tanto away. So... what you do is move your hand QUICKLY to grab (under ukes other arm) the knife hand and knock it away from your neck as you rotate your hips some. Move uke's hand out a bit to unbalance them and lead the arm around in front of you as you turn so you can do the wakigatame.
During one of these I ended up with a kaitenage instead and couldn't figure out why until it happened a second time. When I went for the wakigatame, my uke took a big step changing our positions. So... some of the time I was moving with uke to keep the relationship of our bodies in such a way as to get the wakigatame. On a couple of the occassions it was apparently more natural for me to end up with a kaitenage position. Not ideal for a knife disarm but it came naturally and I'm sure I could do something from that position.

We also did, shihonage, kotagaeshi, kokyunage. Peter even showed us an otoshi of some kind.

About two weeks ago shortly after passing my 3rd kyu test I was having a conversation with someone about teaching. I think I was asked from a purely theoretical standpoint if I thought I could teach a class (this was just a question and not actually being considered). I believe my reaction was one of total apprehension. It just seemed to me to be totally inappropriate. My answer was..... I could keep people busy but teach? No.

I combine this with another comment made by an instructor. He cautioned us to keep mindful of our practice as new people do watch. So it's best to be doing techniques/ukemi as correct as possible for that reason as well.

On a daily basis of my practice I guess I am teaching sort of. I rarely tell someone to move this way or that. I'd rather they learn by figuring it out. The times I will outright break this rule is for safety. If a partner is changing the pace of a technique drastically or if I can offer help with some ukemi, I tend to be more vocal. This is the extent to which I can 'teach' right now. So hopefully my partners benefit from my training. In my last post I believe I spoke of teaching someone some proper ukemi for a hip throw. The way he was going he could have broken his wrist by sticking his hand down. This was one of those examples. I think it would be wrong of me to throw a partner who was not protecting himself in some manner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home