Saturday, June 13, 2009

Fluid Movement

Alan was out so Bob filled in for him for the first class. He had us doing a few different techniques from ryotetori, including iriminage, some kind of cool armbar throw, and something else that slips my mind at the moment. For the armbar thingy.... you tenkan and apply the armbar as you slide/step forward. At the end of class we formed two different groups. We were told to do one of the three techniques and have ukes attack one after another. Good workout.

I debated taking the second class. In the end I decided to push myself and stay. It was a good idea. In sharp contrast to last weeks class, this class and most likely more in the future stressed fluidity of movement, and keeping uke off balance. We started off with just avoiding an incoming attack. No atemi.... just moving.

We were in a free style mode with a particular attack. Mr. Mulligan would show us one or two possibilities and let us have at it. It was fun because you come up with all sorts of things in a freestyle. I was trying to just react to uke and not plan on anything. Once in a while I would be surprised with what I would come up with. Toward the end of class I had Buddy as a partner. He's a really strong guy. I got him in a good choke position but I had to keep moving back to keep him off balance. This sort of also helped the choke as I was hanging him a bit. Apparently I was getting him right in the correct spot as he tapped quickly and gave me some feedback. Had he been able to regain his balance I would have been on the receiving end of a throw.

One of the more interesting events was my taking a hit to the nose. We were practicing a technique that required uke to be spun/pulled around as nage did a tenkan. Somehow nage's head was below mine(odd since he was taller that I) and when he came up he hit his head right into the base of my nose. I felt a crack. Something gave. It didn't hurt lots. No idea if it's a small fracture or whatever. My fault for not paying more attention.

I'm looking forward to next week. The freestyle movement was fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home