Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Great Workout With Basic Techniques

Went to class Monday night at NSA. Had a terrific class. Mike taught. VERY aerobic for me. It's not often that I need to push myself that often in a class nowadays. Techniques were relatively 'simple' such as iriminage, ikkyo, shihonage and so forth.

For a chunk of the time I had Matt, Jim and Shira for partners. Very challenging getting different body types, heights etc. On one side I had a tendency to turn uke more than necessary. I need to concentrate to get that under control. What I'm doing is smooth but not what I want to do.

I varied from the practice on two occassions. As it happened... both times it was with Shira.

At one point I moved Shira too far for iriminage so I grabbed her head for that head grab throw. I have no idea what the name of the throw is. First time I saw the throw was in one of Peter's classes. You basically bring uke down for iriminage and then turn them so their head passes you. You are both facing the same direction with uke's head down. Grab the head and throw as you go to the ground. I didn't complete the throw as it was not the technique we were practicing. If it were a freestyle I would have done it but moving away from the requested technique is a bad idea in my mind. I'm sure Shira could've handled the sudden change of technique but in my mind you don't do unexpected random techniques in a non-freestyle situation with uke. Especially one that plays with someones neck and head.

The second time I wavered a bit was when I was trying to get low enough to do a shihonage with Shira. She is a bit shorter than I. I found myself on one knee pretty much. Since I was that low, I pinned her. We weren't doing pins at the time but it's safe enough. From a martial point of view I didn't like having one knee on the ground with an unpinned opponent that close to me.

In any event, Shira was really picking the pace up on the throws. It was great.

At the end of class Jim and I were trying to pin the heck out of each other for the ikkyo. He's quite good at pinning and getting up from your pin.

6 Comments:

At June 03, 2009 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to say, "even for an old guy."

 
At June 04, 2009 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard the technique you referred to as men nage or helmet throw.

 
At June 04, 2009 8:13 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

"even for an old guy"...

Actually what I left out was the thought that it's a good thing he's getting older or I'd never have a chance at pinning him.

 
At June 05, 2009 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, NOW you'll never be successful again. Too bad you blew it Boy.

 
At June 07, 2009 7:37 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

:)
Either I can do it or I can't. If uke is cutting me slack and I don't know it, that's when I'm in trouble.

 
At June 07, 2009 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, your pins were very good. But that does NOT mean that I can't get out of them :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home