Friday, July 10, 2009

Techniques and Breakfalls For Me

I got to attend a Bob class. It's been a while since I've been able to make that class. We warmed up. We started with some ikkyo ura. I worked on how much I want to push uke, trying to feel at what point I have him unbalanced enough to take him around. My timing was pretty decent for taking him down in a smooth manner.

Right after this Bob mixed up the students a bit. He asked Sam and I to work on 3rd kyu techniques with someone who is testing this month. Sam is just amazing to work with. So we worked on some of the techniques. Hopefully he'll get lots of mat time so he can work on stuff. Some of the techniques were no problem and others we focused more on for him. Meanwhile, I was trying to pick up what I could from what Sam was teaching. I like helping people for tests. Feels like I'm contributing when I help.

When I looked over the class was doing some kind of jodan tsuki sumi otoshi. There was a block and entry. Looked like fun. After class, Sam borrowed me for a couple of throws. Very fun ones as well.

I got off to NSA afterwards to catch Mike's class. It was breakfall practice night. We pretty much did line techniques for 80% of the night focusing on how to do a correct breakfall. They have one student in particular who really has got the experience to benefit. The beginner they had was actually showing some improvement but thats a pretty rough class for someone just starting out. I was wondering what he thought of it.

We got to do one of my favorites .... the tsuki taiotoshi. Mostly I'm working on leading uke well for this. I do a fair job at it most of the time for this particular throw.

Towards the end of class we did some shihonage. Diana and I practiced breakfalling a few times but kept it light for the most part.

2 Comments:

At July 17, 2009 7:12 PM, Blogger grassHopper said...

what is taiotoshi?

 
At July 18, 2009 1:21 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-8aOyPaHs

Here is one flavor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home