Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Double Class Last Night

My family was away for the day so I took the opportunity to get two classes in. I woke up a little tired actually from the seminar but I pushed ahead anyway.

Mr. Mulligan was teaching for Bob. I'm not 100% sure but I think Bob went away to a seminar in Ireland. Anyway, we stuck to basic stuff which was good because I want to practice everything. Some times it's nice just to do nikkyo for a night. This night.... For the most part we were doing all kinds of sankyo all over the place. For this class I encountered a new kind of resistant partner. Young guy, resistance. Hadn't seen much of that in a while. I think this guy is in college.

He was an interesting partner. Good for my technique anyway. He wouldn't move for me unless it was under direct pressure or pain. He's been around a while so it's not like he doesn't know the technique. He's resisting on purpose. For what reason I'm not sure. I asked him if he realizes he's resisting some and he said yes... he likes to do that and don't worry about hurting him. So for the most part I take the attitude of ok.... I'll do what I can without injuring him. I hope he likes pain because that's usually what you get when you resist.

So.... I have him in a sankyo dancing around like my personal meat puppet and I go to cut him down and ..... I can't get him down low enough. I never realized it but I needed to change the way I cut uke down. Mr. Mulligan picked up that I was doing more of a half hearted cut. So.... I start cutting him down correctly and then crank his arm to get him to lie down for the pin. We are generally taught to keep the sankyo arm at a 90 degrees and use it as a lever to force uke down. There are other ways of course and I've experimented with them but this day I was doing a standard sankyo. So anyway.... I crank him down, I see he is headed down to the mat so I let the crank go and he tries to pop right back up. My other hand was still on him so I re-restablish the 90 degree crank on the arm and try to bring him down to the ground. From then on I couldn't let up(hole in my technique). Most times this worked... once or twice he just wouldn't want to go down or on one occassion rolled out of it. So I'd say all in all I got him to comply about 75% of the time. The rest of the time I was too afraid of causing real injury to press it.

Some day he'll come across the wrong personality type or someone less experienced who feels the need to finish the technique regardless and he may get injured. Hopefully he'll figure things out before that happens.

Anyway.... good class for me. Found a couple of holes. Got to screw up the ura version many times. Plenty more time to fix that.

The second class at NSA started a touch late. We were all too jazzed and yakking about the seminar yesterday and most of us were at least still a bit tired from it. Mike led us through a few of the seminar techniques. I had an opportunity to work on the koshinage a bit. I was quite happy that I made some improvement with that version. I didn't try and reverse it. I tried to get my feet together in the right place at the right time, get low enough and wham. I think I even got low enough most of the time. Even for the shorter members of our group.

Then we worked on some kind of otoshi. Go for a wrist grab. tenkan, grab the top of uke's sleeve/wrist, lead him forward, up and then behind(pivoting) going to one knee. Use your opposite hand for a hip push or something. Fun one. Reminds me of a similar version I've practiced with Peter on Sundays. Same technique but for a shomenuchi strike. You move in, slip down and kneel at the same time. Lead uke over and push with the other hand in the same way. The trick to that for me was staying close to uke. Don't kneel far away.

There was another technique that had uke in a similar position for a throw/breakfall except as uke goes into the fall you can do a shove/hip bump. The first time Matt did this for me I felt like I had tons of hang time. I was up in the air for what seemed like a while. It's disconcerting at first to have so much air time but it's a comfortable fall really so no big deal.

Somewhere between the two classes my knee started feeling tweaked a bit. It's getting better. Feels lots better today. I'm find of glad I don't usually go to a class until Friday. Give it time to rest. Thumb still aches. Judging from the weakness, range of motion and the pain level I'd say I moderately sprained it. I don't think anything tore. I've had something like this in the past from the same thing actually. It feels better today as well. During class last night I stuck to judo grabs with that hand so I didn't involve the thumb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home