Thursday, September 03, 2009

I've Seen That.... Oh Wait... I Haven't

Friday night class was with Mr. Mulligan. It was a more comfortable night I recall so he had us picking up the pace a bit. We did a myriad of throws and techniques. Some were easier than others for me to get right. At the end of class we did a freestyle. For whatever reason I ended up in a group of 2-3 ukes. One thing about my freestyles that I need to work on is that I'm comfortable dealing with an uke or moving but if not immediately attacked I stand there waiting. I do engage eye contact with someone which usually gets you an attack but really I shouldn't be just standing there waiting for him to do something. Mr. Mulligan wanted to see me enter more. I assume he would like me to engage my next uke and not wait for him to come to me.

Sunday I went to NSA. No Sunday classes at Shodokan for now. Rob taught. I hadn't seen Rob in quite a while. For the most part his aikido is somehow less confounding that it used to be. He's a very loose, watery, bendable, gumby like aikido guy. At one point we were doing a simple exercise and he's bent over backwards and yet he's on his feet as if they were pinned to the floor.
Anyway... we worked on a nice connected progression of exercises/techniques culminating in a hip throw at the end.

I was busy doing a different hip throw of course. I did a standard move to the third point of the triangle in front of uke and do a throw. It was generally smooth and nice.... but it wasn't the technique Rob was teaching. After about three attempts at showing me I finally realized what was different and what I was doing wrong. Instead of moving in front of uke, it was a tenkan, turn the hips and sort of wrap uke around you for the throw. Very nice. I got a couple of these in correctly before class ended.

Monday night at NSA. We did a bunch of techniques but the one thing that sticks out in my mind was us practicing kaitenage. At one point I had Jim as a partner. I guess he decided I needed more of a challenge so gave me a more realistic attack where he would do the tsuki but then pull his arm back. It took quite a few tries to deal with the timing. If someone leaves their arm out there you have all the time in the world. When they are going to pull it back some you have to move in earler, and stay really sticky. Excellent practice. I could deal with it easily at about 1/3rd speed. I'll need more practice to react quick enough to something like that.


My thumb sprain from the seminar is much better at this point. The constant ache in it has subsided. I'm regaining some strength in the thumb. It will likely take a month or so to be normal. Any time I need to do a grab I've been doing a judo grab. Now I can grab again normally but not as strongly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home