Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Monday At NSA

Couldn't make the first class today as I was needed at home. Ah well. Jim taught. He had us doing some kick defense. Did some of the usual stuff such as bending the leg at the knee or pushing a trapped leg back or up to dump uke. One of the things I tried to focus on was keeping an eye on my uke and tried to use my peripheral vision to watch uke's feet. By watching my partner carefully I was able to predict whether I was going to see a front kick or a roundhouse or whatever. Diana was kind enough to show me a hook kick which totally threw me.

For whatever reason... during one of the falls I tweaked my back. Feels better tonight. I'm guessing within a few days it will be good as new. It feels better now than it did this morning.

After this we did some koshinage. It was a simple enter and throw but I was having a few issues with gripping my partner correctly. One of the things I was doing wrong was that I had one hand high and another low.... turned out that for this technique I needed both hands high. Not a great fall for uke. You don't get your slap hand back right away. It kind of reminded me of a koshinage Rob taught us a month ago or so. For his though, we wrapped uke around nage.

3 Comments:

At October 06, 2009 9:07 PM, Anonymous Diana said...

Here's one for you, Eric. The last one is a hook kick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn59zha-uAQ

 
At October 07, 2009 9:28 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

That hook kick screws with my head. I'm expecting things to flow in one direction with momentum.

Awesome video you found...

Another one here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y43NbD1Fys8

 
At October 08, 2009 2:29 PM, Anonymous Diana said...

Nice video. Thanks, Eric.

BTW, on video 1, the last kick was actually a side kick, not a hook. The technique works well off either one.

:Dy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home