Monday, November 16, 2009

Tests Done and More Tests Are Coming

North Shore Aikikai had it's test night not too long ago. It went well. I got to help out Alex take his test by being his uke. It was lots of fun. Everyone did fine. I got to see a 6th kyu test. They are new to the USAF. There is actually quite a bit in it. Lots of terminology and basic movements.

Shodokan will have a test coming up. Should be quite busy as I think there are quite an assortment of tests including 2nd kyu tests being done.

The past couple of Sunday's Peter has been having us work techniques from either the left or right side. He wants to make sure that people don't get hung up just because uke attacks the wrong side. Just this past Sunday he went over a few of the test techniques which I'm sure the testers appreciated. Afterwards, Peter had us do a little freestyle at the end. People did quite well on it. I'm proud to say that I was actually mostly awake for the class this past Sunday(It's an 8:30am class). One time I was called up to take ukemi for the demo, I watched Peter while he took a moment deciding what technique he wanted to do. His thought translated to a small body movement which I recognized. Knowing what technique he had in mind I gave him a nice committed attack because that would definitely help the demo. Now.... did he do that on purpose because he knows I was watching him?

There is a rumor that the test may be on a Friday this time. Typically they are on Wednesday nights. I'm going to ask tonight about that. If it is on Friday it will be easy for me to attend. I would really like to see this test. Actually, it occurs to me I might want to look at the test just in case there is a no show and they need an uke.

The latest batch of beginners at Shodokan are an interesting group. I think most all of them have a background in some other art. One guy I think had a judo background. I also heard things like kempo, tae kwan do. My understanding is that they resist like crazy (perhaps unintentionally). Should be fun to work with them in a regular class when they are done with their intro classes. It's always a fun balance attempting to do a technique and making sure you aren't harming your partner. I always get the sense that this is what aikido would feel like if I managed to get into a scrap I couldn't talk/walk my way out of.

In the past month or so I've seen a lot of the more basic techniques again. It gave me an opportunity to work on them some but I think I need more practice with them. I swear I see things I want to improve in all my basic techniques. So I'm back to the question..... am I just noticing these things now or is this something new. I'm constantly going back reevaluating my technique. I'd like to think this is a normal thing. It could be the sign of a sick mind however.

3 Comments:

At November 17, 2009 9:44 PM, Anonymous Diana said...

How about Facebooking your blogs?
- :Dy

 
At November 18, 2009 11:11 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I've thought about it and rejected the idea. It's time consuming enough such that I barely get anything written as it is.

 
At November 18, 2009 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly you do have a sick mind but that has little to do with your observation. The more you practice the more your atttenion will shift to diffierent aspects of the same technique. As your mastery of a form advances, you become more sensitive to the feeling of things. Watery, sticky, heavy fiery. so you aqctually get to look at things through new eyes as you become sensitive to the less obvious nuances. Thats why aikido is so much fun. it's the puzzel that keeps changing. Rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home