Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Iriminage Practice

I went to Shodokan last night. We had a visitor. A nidan from the IrAF. My understanding is that she's visited us a few times over the years. Bob had her warm us up. Some of her stretches were different and really nice. There was one I got a great stretch from. Bob gave us some time to work on our ukemi.

I got to work with the visitor for a short bit. There are a lot of people you really get a flavor of their aikido. I didn't get that with her. Perhaps their style is similar enough to our own that nothing stood out. At one point in our kaitenage practice she decided to pick up the pace a bit and as I rolled back up, she'd move towards me ready for me to grab her. We went back and forth a bit before the technique was changed.

The techniques/exercises covered included a kokyunage and kaitenage. To stress the freestyle practice mindset Bob had us practice something at the end of class. Three lines of sorts. One at either end of the dojo and one more in the middle. We were supposed to do uchi kaitenage on one line, soto on the other and the kokyunage on the third line. Also, we needed to practice both left and right sides. Go through the lines twice and everyone is back where they were started. Bow the next nage in.

I always like working with different people so it was fun working with our visitor. I tried watching her with other partners when I could out of curiousity. She was a pleasure to work out with. She seemed to have good control and was obviously adapting to her uke's abilities. You never really know when someone visits how they will be. Some people just lack control.

Afterwards, I headed out to North Shore Aikikai for another class. Jim taught this one. After normal stretching he had us do some partner stretches. These are awesome. I can get some real good stretching in when I have help like that.

We did an iriminage that I had to work on a bit. When I had a larger uke, I was adapting to uke's momentum and moving around an extra 180 degrees. Although I was keeping up wth uke fine and it was smooth, Jim wanted me to focus on purposefully doing the technique and not allowing allowing uke to necessarily drive the technique a particular way. In other words, I should be more in control of uke and myself. I was able to do this although I'm curious if I will consciously continue to do this.

We then did a kotagaeshi from the same attack (a grab and punch). This is an attack we probably don't do enough of really. It really is a very likely attack in a real life situation.

6 Comments:

At December 30, 2009 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When one has the skill and ability to control the position of nage in iriminage, That is when you can let the flow of nage determine the end point of the movement. Otherwise, you will sometimes lose control, which is fine if you have the ability to adapt and change your technique. this is far more advanced though, and is what we shoot for {henka waza) But we must walk before we run. If you feel confident in your ability to keep nage on the line whenever you want, then feel free to experiment with folloing nage through the power of the technique. Rob form beverly

 
At December 30, 2009 9:43 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Ya.... This was one of those instances where the flow of things led me to the extra 180 degree movement. So it's an interesting question. When I was asked to do it the other way I was able to easily change but it didn't feel as fluid for me. Now... did it feel less fluid because thats the energy I was working with or did it feel less fluid because I'm not as capable of redirecting that much energy without the additional movement.

In plain terms.... does it feel clunkier for me because it should(because I am overcoming all that force instead of redirecting it) or because that's where I'm at with that.

 
At December 30, 2009 2:28 PM, Blogger Abruña said...

Two practices in one night? You must have great endurance!

Personally, iriminage (the 20 year spin around version) has never been one of my favorite techniques. It feels like there are too many gaps in it. That might be my fault though.

It also seems that in order to get the throw per se, uke needs to react a certain way. I like working with beginners because they haven't had their reactions trained yet. They spin weird, they don't try to get up, very unpredictable. Very good for testing control too.

Love the blog man. Keep up the training. Onegaishimasu

 
At December 30, 2009 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You both make good points. I also love working with beginners because it is a good measure of how far we've come. Sometimes things don't work on beginers because of our skill other times because to actually make it work we might have to apply more force than thaey should receive so we don't complet it with intention to protect them. But the longer I practice the better my abilities to make them work on beginners.
As for feeling clunky, you will need to find the small circles in the direct forms and round out your flat spots or suck up their momentum and guide them before they settle. Good luck, your definately on the right track, your technique has excellent fluidity. Rob

 
At December 30, 2009 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My point in changing what Eric was doing was that Uke was having too much of a controlling influence on what Eric was doing. Unless I'm mistaken, Nage is supposed to control his own body, and AFTER he can control his own body, he can control Uke's. If Uke's body is so far out of Nage's control that Nage has to constantly adapt to Uke, then WHO's doing the technique? Nage or UKE ?
I'd kinda like to think that that purpose of all this practice is so that I can control Uke...
Frozen Water.

 
At December 30, 2009 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,
in your first comments, you've used the term "nage" when you meant to say "Uke". I know you know the difference, but it came out wrong...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home