Thursday, December 24, 2009

Kokyuho and Tae Waza

Friday night was a dojo party so no practice for me. Sunday morning was a big snowstorm. My experience in the past pretty much told me to stay home and that if I went I would likely be knocking on a locked door. I was hoping to get to a class that night but was too tied up at home.

Monday night I headed to Shodokan. It was a fairly laid back class. We started out with some kokyuho and did some irimi exercises. Then later there was an exercise which started as a hand grab. I wasn't off balancing my uke well(one of the newer folks) and he let me know it. After a couple rounds of missing it he decided to tell me what he thought I was doing wrong. I think he had the right idea. Before I could noodle around with it, the exericse ended and suddenly... so did class.

Afterwards I headed off to North Shore Aikikai for a 2nd class that night. It was fairly laid back as well. We did some ukemi and worked on that a bit. Mike had us slowly concentrate on one series, one piece at a time.
Collar grab, nikkyo, bounce uke down, as he comes up cut the arm up a bit and grab an arm, step in front of uke as you turn and grab with the other hand, go to your knees and throw out. At the end of the throw pull the arm in a bit. It's sort of like flinging uke out there.

My first throw was pretty good. If you move smoothly you can get a nice throw in. Seems like I was dissecting it more and more. Sometimes I do that a little too much when I should just jump in there and throw. Still. I really enjoyed this particular throw. At the end of the throw Mike showed us a pin/armbar that felt pretty darn effective. He did this one throw for the whole class but did each bit for a while, and had us build up to the end practicing what we did and adding the next component. One of the coolest parts of the class was Mike threw me a couple of times for the technique so I got to feel it. He'll certainly jump in a line when he teaches but doesn't often take a turn in line. When Mike threw me for this I have a hard time describing what it felt like. It was soft and effortless for both of us.

3 Comments:

At December 25, 2009 1:05 PM, Blogger uchi deshi said...

Merry Xmas!

 
At December 25, 2009 8:13 PM, Blogger Billy said...

Is there anywhere I can get a video of that technique?

 
At December 26, 2009 9:53 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

For our exercise the positions of nage's hands and the throw itself is similar to those in the video. The feet are different as we stepped pretty much in front of uke as if we were doing koshinage and then went to both knees for the throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DCJuh_9M0

 

Post a Comment

<< Home