Monday, January 18, 2010

Basic Class Was Great

Seems like I've been seeing a lot of Mr. Mulligan lately as other instructors were unavailable this week. Alan couldn't teach Friday night so Mr. Mulligan took the class over. Since the early class is really supposed to be a basic class he had us doing some basic techniques. This was awesome since I really wanted a chance to run through them again and tweak things if needed. Overall, things felt pretty good. I got to work with a few different partners. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to fling people about but sometimes I just want to make sure I have good posture, my partner off-balance and focus on basic correctness.

We did have a couple watching us for the class. Frequently when someone comes to watch, they lose interest after 30 minutes or so. These folks stayed for the entire class. They had some concerns because there were a bit older. They seemed hesitant and for some reason did not want to 'bother' sensei. I talked to them for a bit and suggested that they could go at a pace they would be comfortable at. That it wasn't expected that they go fast or fall hard or anything bad like that. So while I'm suggesting that they could start slow and how it's possible to become more flexible and everything, the younger aikidoka next to me starts talking about injuries on the mat. I'm thinking... oh man... shut up. You're freaking them out. I think everyone knows that getting injured is a possibility but you don't need to focus on it.

The husband still seemed interested in aikido but the wife started asking me where the taichi group was. I let them know that just recently we have suspended the taichi classes. After I said that they immediately told me that there was a taichi program at the Beverly Y. I didn't realize that they did taichi there actually. They went further and told me that there is also an aikido program there. They also seemed to know a bit of the lineage. At this point in the conversation I mostly just listened. I have a suspicion that they had visited there before coming to Shodokan. I was wondering if they were hoping to take classes concurrently or something so they could 'commute' to class together.

In cases like this I tend to be closed mouthed. I don't go extolling the virtues of one dojo over another. It would make me very uncomfortable and in my mind isn't appropriate.

There is excellent teaching at both which is why I'm happy to take classes at both.

I'm curious to find out where they end up. It wouldn't surprise me if they both did taichi somewhere.

3 Comments:

At January 19, 2010 1:51 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

The husband came back to watch another class. Turns out he used to go to Shodokan 30-40 years back for karate. He's interested in aikido now.

 
At January 19, 2010 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's also been to NorthShore Aikikai twice to watch. We'll see which place he feels more comfortable with...

 
At February 17, 2010 3:56 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

He started at Shodokan's current beginners start. I think they are about 3 weeks in or so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home