Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Flood and Choke Techniques

Last night we practiced a special flood technique. In case the 2nd floor of the dojo floods we can jump 15 feet in the air and grab the steel girders. You grab about different shoulders about shoulder width apart. You need to be able to hang there for extended periods of time so the water has time to recede.



We also worked on some chokes last night. I have no idea why but I really enjoy chokes. The one that sticks out the most started with a shomen strike. You turn uke as if doing a shihonage. Then reach across the front of his chest grabbing the gi collar with your opposite hand (with thumb inside the gi). You move around behind uke and grab the same shoulder with the other hand. Your arms end up in an X. The trick then is to use your hand position in a scissor like motion to increase the pressure. I did these fairly well. After we switched to a strike to the face.

During some of the night I was working with Joanna. She's fun to work with because every so often she'll start resisting a technique and I'll be forced to do something. Usually, I try to keep doing the technique in the best/softest way possible but there are times when it is so much easier to do something else that I just do something else. She knows this and expects this and I think half the time she resists, she's just curious what I'll do with it. At one point I couldn't do a particular technique so I ended up in a nikkyo, then got to another technique to get her on the ground, she quickly started to rise but since I still had my connection (her hand) I just went to a kotagaeshi with it and flipped her back over after that for a pin.

The reason that this is fun is because she may do this once in a class. She won't keep doing it constantly defeating the practice. Once or twice is fun. After that it would be somewhat annoying and at this level as I just want to practice my techqniques.

At the end of class Mr. Mulligan had us doing a kokyunage. It's king of like an iriminage like motion getting uke to move/fall because of the threat of a strike to the face. He asked us to kiai. The usually quiet dojo got louder then. At least for a few minutes.

I've been noticing lately that I'm not paying full attention to myself for basic techniques now and this is not a good thing. To bring an arm down for a yokomen attack, all my teachers would have me use one hand. For whatever reason I was using my second hand as well. This isn't something I learned from anyone. It's just something I started doing without thinking. It may not be a big thing but in my mind that should be second nature. At one point I believe it was. I am not too sure where or when I changed but I need to make sure my techniques are still there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home