Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nikkyo Night

I headed out to Shodokan for a class. Mr. Mulligan taught this one. For the most part he had us working on our nikkyo. I was psyched as I still want to work with this some. Out of habit I was doing the nikkyo with my hands up on his hand. But really... the nikkyo he was showing had one hand on uke's elbow. I really should have been practicing that one more also. Although I think doing it that way is easier to get than the way I was doing it so I'm pretty sure I'd have no trouble with it.

At one point we did sankyo. I was getting a good sankyo on my partner. I noodled around with some differences to see what each did. I even did some ura versions as that always needs work.

After this class I headed out to North Shore Aikikai for another class. We worked on 2nd kyu test requirements as one of their members is close to testing soon. It's good practice for me as well as I need to take this test at some point soon also. What I learned was that I really need to polish things up a bit. I'm all over the place for probably half of the techniques. One of the differences I noticed from people lately was how they did their shihonage. For some reason, early on, I was given the impression that you kept uke's hand in front/a bit higher than your face as if you were reading your watch. This has the result that as you tenkan, uke's arm get's extended and torqued around and returned to their shoulder (assuming that's what you want to do). The other way I've seen it done (at both dojos by some members) is to bring the shihonage arm up, nage goes under, turns and cuts uke's arm back down before uke can really react.

The first method is nice because the extension keeps uke off balance the whole time. However a drawback is that if you likely tried this on a real attacker you may get more fight from him as he reacts to you pulling that arm in an unatural direction. Now... the second method is good because the attacker won't feel much pressure until it's too late. However, there seems to be a moment where nage is on balance and may be able to react.

I know one good thing from the second version is that if you have someone who is really stiff (and I've seen this), you really can't shihonage them using the first variation. I can do both versions but which is it they want to see in a test? I'll have to ask.

Although I've seen this in the past I never really paid much attention to it until now. At this point I want to explore the differences some I think.

Oh.... one of the test techniques had us doing nikkyo in the second class for a while. So between the two classes from my perspective it seemed like nikkyo night.

2 Comments:

At January 19, 2010 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

..."However, there seems to be a moment where nage is on balance and may be able to react."
If that was your impression of the 2nd way, then you're mistaken. You should be constantly off-balance.
I'll show you next visit.

 
At January 20, 2010 8:21 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Great.... This is why I wanted to noodle around with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home