Tuesday, January 05, 2010

RRRRRRRrrrrrrriiiiippp

Rrriiiippppp... Yep... that's the sound of some energy being dispersed. In the form of uke's gi ripping open a good 15 inches or so. This happened when Mike was demo'ing on a throw. Now I think Mike was just interested in ripping more of uke's gi off with further throws. The dan he was demoing with looked a bit disappointed as the gi was all nice and broken in. It didn't even looked frayed or anything other than the new damage. Bummer.

We did a lot of very fast, very powerful throws. Aikido can have a lot of big or even medium flowy movements. Leading uke and so forth. We still had the lead but instead of a larger movement these throws were generating energy in a short period of time and dumping uke down very fast. In a lot of these, when I took ukemi I felt like I was standing.... and then.... I wasn't. There wasn't a lot of time. With some throws I go up.... float around a bit adjust myself mid air and come down. None of that with these throws.

I suspect a couple of these throws were based on judo. If I had to name them... it was something like taiotoshi, seionage, and some kind of sacrifice throw that struck me as being a tae waza as well.

Why is this taiotoshi different from other nights? In the past we've done this from a tsuki, where we step aside, grab the arm, lead uke forward taking a step across uke at a 45 degree and then throw. Uke has a bit of time for this. This version feel pretty natural for me. Last nights version we did from a grab. We did different versions for when they get the grab or whether you intercept the grab. But in both cases you lead the grab hand up, and then do the taiotoshi immediately. Generating the power with your body when you pop that foot out. I'd like to try that some more.

I spent a lot of time staring at uke trying to piece it together in my head. The problem with that is you end up throwing from static which makes the throw harder. If I come across these again I'll make some attempt to keep things moving.

The sacrifice throw was the same beginning. Uke goes for a collar grab, you intercept the hand and lead it up as you raise the same foot. As you lower that foor you then sit down on one heel sort of and fall back. The other (formerly raised)foot is kicking out.

Pretty wild class.

3 Comments:

At January 06, 2010 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Judo the technique is referred to as uki waza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUIOII3PWUc&feature=related

 
At January 07, 2010 4:07 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Yep..... that was it. Good find.

 
At January 08, 2010 6:16 PM, Anonymous Diana said...

My body's still sore from this class!!!! Ouch!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home