Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Koshinage Full Speed

I'm a bit behind again on posting blogs. I had an awesome class on Sunday. Peter had us really going at it. He focused a bit on the weaker open entry. Instead of entering behind uke, this entry is in front of uke with your back to him at one point. We did all kinds of techniques from this.

Toward the end of class we had moved on to a simple yokomen attack. The technique that stuck out in my mind was the koshinage. Why is that you ask? Well, Tony was present in class. Tony was a judo guy long ago. He used to win competitions and such. He does hip throws like most people breathe.

I gave him a good committed attack and got a judo compeition style hip throw from him. He was really planting me. There were a couple in there that were really smooth. He got right under me and wham. I think Peter was enjoying the show. I really got to get a video camara in some day so I can see what it looks like. I'm also curious to see if I can spot problems with my technique.

The taiotoshi was in that class too. Now I got to noodle around with it a bit. At one point I was learning it where uke keeps moving. In that case you take a step as you throw. But.... on this day I was getting uke static. After the strike, uke was planted and not moving at all. So in this case I experimented with popping my foot out and doing the taiotoshi right there. I took it easy for the most part but I knew Tony's ukemi was up for it so on one occassion I did one closer to full speed and got a nice result.

I did have a scary moment during that taiotoshi exercise. My partner at the time didn't have my arm in a standard position and had an arm bar of sorts for the tai otoshi. I felt a good amount of pressure on my elbow. In reaction, I somehow managed to slide my arm in a little more to get a piece of his gi and breakfalled over to release the pressure. I don't expect an armbar as part of taiotoshi. It was an accident on nage's part. Still... it got me moving for sure.

2 Comments:

At February 02, 2010 1:49 PM, Blogger Scott Zrubek said...

I was uke for an oshi taoshi (maybe ya'll's ikkyo?) and, as uke was taking me down, I felt a weird armbar pop up on my elbow. I instantly retracted the arm. It was a good bet my arm would have been at least tweaked if I'd left it where it was. Luckily, uke did not have strong control.

 
At February 03, 2010 2:48 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

You got it. We call it ikkyo.

I did have one or two similar occassions where I worked with some guys that had MMA experience. They had solid grabs from the first moment of contact and did the technique in a forceful manner with a goodly amount of strength and purposely using an armbar. I'm pretty sure that had I not moved for the ukemi properly I would have had elbow damage.

Oddly enough I liked working with these guys. One of them told me if I saw an opening he wanted me to hit him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home