Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Polishing Things Up a Bit

Often times I like to spend time in class just working on techniques I already supposedly know. This Monday class was one of those. Bob had us doing a simple exercise to start out. Uke grabs the wrist. Nage does a tenkan. My partner for some of this was funny. He kept telling me that he felt as though he could strike me before I got him off balance. I said... dude, this isn't a technique, it's only an exercise. Maybe I should've just started moving the second he grabbed on but I was concentrating on other things.

After doing this for a little while Bob added an extra element. Sort of an uchi kaiten? One was with a tenkan, j-step. The other was same attack, tenkan, step back. Bob had us focus on keeping uke's hand in a position where we are pulling him around against all four fingers. If you have your arm rotated the wrong way you can strip uke's grip unintentionally. Although I never had that problem I am not sure what I was doing before he mentioned this to the whole class. I think I was doing ok there. I certainly was after he mentioned it and I was mindful of it. Another thing I worked on was leading a little better. Bob made it clear when he worked in with us that I needed to focus on leading uke out a little bit before pulling him around. Leading him out will put him off balance. Although I have clear memory or being taught this I wasn't doing it that night. Odd thing is, that if we were doing tsuki kotagaeshi, I would have definitely remembered this. For some reason, I don't lead that way for every technique. We also finished with uke being a bit off balance as the grabbed hand is now off to the side.

From what I recall we did kaitenage in lines after this using the same opening. I was working on controling uke well. I think I was doing really well judging by my uke's responses however, I would like to be controlling the head a little earlier I think. Yet something else for me to noodle around with.

Later in the class we moved to sumi otoshi. One of the guys in my line was driving me nuts. He would tenkan around and pull me around but.... rather than keeping my arm at the same level or lower, he would raise my arm high. I think that he was trying to make the throw more effective by starting high and 'throwing' down. Of course, this isn't particularly effective and makes the ukemi a little funny. I kept my mouth shut the whole time and just took ukemi. He'll figure it out someday.

One thing I didn't keep my mouth shut on though was when the same guy took ukemi and was planting his opposite hand on the mat. Moves like that can break your wrist(especially when you are newer) so I took him aside and had a quick 10 second conversation with him to try to explain what he was doing wrong and why it was a bad idea. I told him I didn't want to be the one that broke his wrist because he wasn't rolling correctly. He did better after that.

Then we got to work on iriminage some. This is always a good thing to practice. I think I had my partner off balance most of the time. Usually this technique is a good workout but my partner wasn't really pushing me hard. He really didn't have my balance most of the time.

3 Comments:

At February 03, 2010 9:43 AM, Blogger Sean Ashby said...

I think you made the right call. There's a time to teach and a time to smile and let a student find their own way. But safety--safety is always paramount! Good reminder.

 
At February 03, 2010 10:45 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I usually let people find their own way and try to do as correct technique as possible. Once in a while I will make maybe one suggestion to someone.

I will almost always give suggestions if I see a dangerous ukemi. It's one thing if your rolls or breakfalls look bad because you don't have it down right. It's another thing entirely as in this case where someone moves in such a way that they could really get hurt.

 
At February 06, 2010 9:19 PM, Blogger Abruña said...

"I usually let people find their own way and try to do as correct technique as possible. Once in a while I will make maybe one suggestion to someone."

Same here. It bothers me when an experienced person is working with a new student and the student never gets a chance to do the technique because the experienced person is explaining and explaining and explaining and explaining. It is amazing that some of the beginner's heads don't explode on the mat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home