Saturday, February 27, 2010

Take a Ride on the Koshi-Machine...

Do NOT pass go! Do not collect $200.


Friday night I went to two classes at Shodokan. The first class was very aerobic. We started slow with some back stretches and then moved on.

Bob had us doing iriminage. My partner for a good lot of it was an experienced person but at times doesn't necessarily follow what is being taught. Some times this is a good thing for exploration. Other times I just want to do what is taught. This night I was happy to experiment a little bit. One thing I noticed right away was noodling around with how to take uke around. Uke attacks with moretetori. The technique called for nage to tenkan and bring uke around, and then does the iriminage. After bringing uke around you can do two things. You can bring uke around where your hand goes low, or you can bring uke around with your hand about mid level. The effect is totally different. In the low version, uke still has a grip on your arm and the way I was doing it I had trouble with uke now having two hands on me leaning over my arm with his weight in a powerful way. I'm wondering if there is a way to do this where uke won't have that moment of control over me. For a while I practiced it by bringing my hand mid level as if you were doing the same attack as a nikkyo. You break ukes grip somewhat and you end up on top of uke's arm still. This seem to work better for me.

So what version are you doing? Are you coming around low, or coming around higher and going 'above' the grip to break it some. If you are going low... have you ever noticed a point at which uke has a moment of control? How do you get around the problem?

Is it one of those things where you want uke to feel as though he HAS to hold on? Still.... I feel as though I have a hole there when I go low.

Bob had us do udeminage in a line. Some people had some nice improvement when the tried it again. The last time through the line we were throwing, turning around, and throwing again right away to keep a nice pace going.

The second class Mr. Mulligan started us off with some 'easy' kokyunage. These are always interesting. Some are ridiculously hard to do correctly. Some are easier. We did this for a while and then Mr. Mulligan called for a koshinage. Normally this isn't a problem from me but the particular partner I had at the moment was Tony. He's the guy I also see a lot of on Sundays. Years and years of judo have made his hip throws effortless for him. His timing is just amazing. So he tossed me around. When he does a hip-throw and he knows you can take it, he will go for it. I was being whipped to the mat repeatedly. The nice thing is I can abuse him and he has no problem with it. By the end of the koshinage session I was pretty spent at that point. Then a change to technique was called for. Some form of tai otoshi. Normally I like otoshi but this was a tougher one to get right. Then.... another change and we do somthing I remember he called aiki-otoshi. Basically you pin uke's hip to you with one hand and use the other hand to scoop the closest leg. Turn and toss. How I used to do ukemi for this was to slide down uke's back. I spent some time during this session working on a different ukemi. More of an ushiro otoshi ukemi feel (Donovan Waite style). The few tries I had at it felt really comfortable. It's a really active ukemi but it felt better. 'Scraping' down someones back slows things enough to be fine but does not guarantee that you will not land on the flat of your back. This is where the other ukemi seems better. My biggest concern is that I don't blow out my shoulder by doing this wrong.

We skipped tachitori. Sort of ran out of time. I actually remembered more details I think and I certainly remembered the 5 techniques we've covered most recently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home