Saturday, March 27, 2010

Feeling Good

Took two classes Friday night at Shodokan. Bob taught first class. Pretty much stuck with Ariel for my partner for most of the class. He's kind of tall so it's easy to get lazy and not bend your knees when you work with him. We did fine. Class started off with a hand grab nikkyo. Went to a shihonage then fell into a combination. Uke would yokomen one side, as nage steps back, uke strikes a yokomen with the other hand. Then we did a technique. After that we added a third attack in the sequence. Uke had to do a front kick. This meant nage had to enter and grab the leg. The ukemi for this is horrible. This is how I sprained my ankle (badly) last year. So, this wasn't particularly fun for me. Hey, not everything is going to be fun.

Occasionally Bob shows us something using a bokken. Sometimes to show how important it is to move offline. Even after all this time I still hesitate if I have a nice oak bokken in my hand. I'd feel bad clocking him. I like using a shinai for those demos. If I hit him with that, it will only suck. It won't likely require a trip to the hospital. So, I hesitate. Still, I really should trust him to get the hell out of the way. There is improvement however. I'm not afraid to hit him with my hand like I used to be. Getting hit with a hand doesn't do much damage usually. Hey... I don't like hurting people.... unless it's a nikkyo or something, then I enjoy it.

Mulligan taught the advanced class as usual. I stuck around for a second class this night. He had us doing soft kokyunage for the most part. Some of the kokyunage I just stare at and wonder what the heck. This set of kokyunage I probably got 80% - 90% of it generally right. Did lots better for these this particular night. Most of the kokyunage were in response to a punch to the face (jodan tsuki). He also asked us to give a realistic attack. Since I had Dave as a partner I wasn't too worried about hitting him. I knew he'd move out of the way. I was giving him a pretty fast attack.

At the end of class Mr. Mulligan told us to go at it freestyle with the same punch to the face attack. We both did pretty well at the end there. The only thing we seemed screw up was that we both needed yonkyo practice. Neither one of us was applying it well. On the drive home I'm pretty sure I figured out my problem. I know what Dave's was too as I know where he was applying pressure on me. I could feel where he was missing the nerve. The rest of the freestyle was very good though for both of us. I felt as though I was applying techniques fairly well with a minimum of effort. I did some kokyunage. Some from the class and others that we had done in the past (such as enter and pull/drag the shoulders back as you move behind uke). Another technique where you fade back and then with your hands, allow the punch to slide past. Then you bend the wrist and the elbow as you bring uke's arm in for something like a shihonage movement. I did not add the pressure point pinch for this. I got a couple different iriminage in. One was a direct entry. Tap the incoming arm so it is deflected just a little and then enter and iriminage. The other I did was more of a standard version. With all the iriminage practice we've had lately I was able to really get Dave's balance as he came down. When he came up I fisnished by aiming through him. That is an example of a technique that I did that didn't feel like much to me but seem to have a big affect on my uke. We did otoshi, koshinage, sankyo, udekimenage, kotagaeshi. We both even did a couple of chokes. One of my favorites I usually end up doing to Budy for some reason but seeing as he isn't around I slapped it on Dave. I enter quickly, put my arm around uke's neck and using the edge of my hand I apply pressure to the jawline pulling uke's head to one side. I use my other hand to grab his arm to aid in taking his balance. The only problem is that you HAVE TO take uke's balance. If you don't and you have an arm wrapped around him like that your likely going for a ride. I'm pretty good at this choke and most people tap pretty fast once I get it.

Next up I got all flowy for the heck of it and did some uchi kaitenage, and another where I pulled uke around for a sumi-otoshi... or did a tenkan, pull him around, j-step then enter uchi(under the arm) for a sankyo or kaitenage or something. My aikido felt really good for this session.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home