Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Are You Breaking Up With Me?!

We started with some ukemi. Mike even set up something for us to jump over as we did a forward roll.

We moved on to sumi-otoshi. From there we did that kotagaeshi. As uke comes in for a tsuki, you step back off the line, deflect the strike with the opposite hand, pickup the grip with the other hand, and continue in a circle, pivot and throw. I have trouble getting the proper grip at times when this is done at speed. Could use more practice that's for sure.

Mike had us working on our timing. Someone holds a bokken and does a shomen cut while someone else tries to enter and get to a good position.

We did a couple of sword disarms as well. We did one I had done recently. Another was a wakagatmi followed by a nikkyo. The nikkyo was a little hard to find for most of us.
So at one point the person was trying to do a nikkyo to me. I totally forgot and of course as some of you remember I can ignore certain nikkyo positions. For me there is no pain. So just as Mike was coming over to see what he was fiddling with I realized I wasn't reacting at all and said.... Oh... wait it's not you, it's me. To which he replied... "What?!! Are you breaking up with me". After I stopped laughing, I had to explain to him that I can ignore a straight arm nikkyo. Usually, when I feel enough pressure I just tap as most people would be feeling it. Sometimes I forget.

I swear I wasn't trying to break up with him.

3 Comments:

At April 13, 2010 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...I can ignore a straight arm nikkyo."
Oh, NOT if it's done right!
Come visit again. You know who to ask for...

 
At April 14, 2010 7:54 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Ya... I know,

I don't honestly feel the need to test this but we've been there, done that.

You can certainly get me to tap but it's out of fear of a broken wrist. You are one of the few people that can get me to feel tingling.

Keep in mind that the mechanics still work. I may not feel pain but I have to follow my hand so if it is locked in a position, I'm not going anywhere just like everyone else. You get mechanical compliance, not pain compliance. Or perhaps... fear compliance if I believe the wrist will break.

 
At April 14, 2010 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mechanical compliance is my GOAL.
Pain compliance doesn't work on drunks and druggies. Mechanical does. Not everybody has fear, but everybody has mechanics!

See ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home