Monday, June 07, 2010

Practice Feels Good

Short class Friday night. Mr. Mulligan said he wanted to move us to a summer schedule where the 1st class ends a little early and the 2nd class would be cut short as well. I'm guessing it's a permanent change however.

Seems as though we have a New England Aikikai transplant. I've seen him around before at other dojos. He lives in the area and wants to go to a closer dojo so he's joining Shodokan. I spoke to him after class. He wants to work on his shodan test. We were doing lots of that practice on the second Friday night class. I'm guessing with him around that this will continue.

Friday night was a lot of wrist grab attacks. We did some sankyo, nikkyo and so forth.

Sunday morning was fun. Peter had us doing a nice range of techniques. There was one that I used to have trouble with and now it's no problem for some reason. That's how it is sometimes. I will have trouble with a technique and then some time passes and all of a sudden I can do it at speed with no problems. The new guy is super tall. At one point I had him as a partner for koshinage. he would get down to a point, then lower himself for a moment just to load me and then come back up some before he did the throw.

There has been one thing nagging me the past couple months. The transition for my vertical pin needs work. The moment where you move the arm from one hand to the other is sloppy. I'll have to watch this carefully next chance I get.

2 Comments:

At June 13, 2010 5:08 PM, Blogger uchi deshi said...

I leave gaps there, sometimes, too.

 
At June 13, 2010 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk to me about your transfers on pins Monday.
Jim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home