Friday, October 21, 2011

Cool Kaitenage

Went to North Shore Aikikai's Wednesday night's class. Did a bunch of jo disarming stuff, That was interesting. The last thing of the night though was really cool. It was a kaitenage. Uke does a yokomen strike. Nage enters in. While entering... instead of a normal atemi you might do, you grab the neck/shoulder area of the attacking side. So, if uke strikes in his right arm, you step in, deal with the strike with your left hand. At the same time your right hand goes to uke's right neck/shoulder area. From here you can step across in front if him bring his attacking arm up in a kaitenage like motion and throw.

I really liked the technique a lot. There is a bit of fun you can have trying to get uke off balance right after the strike. You can lead them forward just a bit. As they fall forward into the hole you create you can do the kaitenage.

This looks similar but I specifically remember the hand going on the opposite shoulder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujzuA-kvoms

I could have played with this one for a while.

4 Comments:

At November 05, 2011 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check with your instructors (if you are interested), but it sounds to me like what you are describing in the post is Kanai Sensei's version of soto kaiten nage, and the youtube link is of Berthiaume Sensei doing kata hiki-otoshi.

 
At November 05, 2011 10:46 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Very cool. I looked at my link again. The video was indeed labelled kaitenage and from what I know, that is what's being done. Could be a terminology question there.

Unfortunately, there isn't much out there for video Kanai Sensei. I did look up "soto kaitenage" on youtube and found something similar to what we were doing. However, before bringing uke's arm down for the kaitenage the emphasis in our class was to lead uke forward just a bit to get kazushi. As uke fell into the 'hole' that gets created, we then would do the kaitenage.
Thanks for giving me that phrase to look up!

 
At November 06, 2011 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the clip is mislabeled. I think the throw is kata hiki otoshi since Berthiaume Sensei is hooking his hand over the shoulder that is not on the tsuki-ing side, then he brings uke along as he pivots (hence kata hiki). Although he seems to be pivoting in a bigger arc than I think is typical, the rest of it looks like kata hiki otoshi to me. That's just my take on it.

 
At November 06, 2011 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... or maybe it has characteristics of kaiten nage (levering the arm) and kata hiki otoshi (hooking the shoulder. In the end I guess it is a question of terminology, the throw is what is, no matter what I think it is called :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home