Saturday, October 29, 2011

Friday Night

Went to class at Shodokan. Mulligan taught the class. Did some unusual attacks where someone grabs the back of your collar and sometimes pulls or grabs and strikes.

Other attack was a punch to the face. I can't get enough of this attack. Why? Cause it's the most likely thing you're going to see.

Did some ikkyo, kokyunage, udekiminage, kaitenage as responses. The kaitenage was an uchi version. So... you go under the arm. The tricky part is the magic hand rotation at the bottom so you come up with your hand in the right position. Ever since working on that one night at North Shore Aikikai I usually can get it.

We also did some aiki-otoshi. I do this regularly. I work with Tony on the mat on Sundays. When in doubt, he does this technique.

Funny.

5 Comments:

At November 04, 2011 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does everybody in your dojo refer to the sensei by just his last name? Sounds unusual, a bit brusque, to me.

 
At November 04, 2011 8:13 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

What exactly are you trying to say here? What are you implying? I'd like to make sure there are no misunderstandings.

 
At November 05, 2011 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the dojos where I have trained the sensei was referred to as "Sensei X". And I witnessed senior students correcting juniors who didn't follow that convention. When I read your post and got to the part where it said "Mulligan" I thought that sounded "off", in the etiquette sense. I am asking if that is the norm in your dojo. I have nothing against casual forms of address either. Not ctiticizing. Just wondering.

 
At November 05, 2011 1:11 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I figured as much. While training and on the mat, I will usually refer to whomever is teaching, simply as sensei. Off the mat it depends on the relationship I have with them. Most all of them I will refer to by first name. I never referred to Mr. Mulligan by his first name because he is a generation older than I am.

Both dojos I train at are relatively casual.

You'll notice if you go back a bit on previous posts I usually refer to him as Mr. Mulligan(on the blog). Other teachers I refer to by first name.

Perhaps I am getting lazy just trying to get some posts out on a regular basis. Perhaps it's a subconcious expression of frustration I've been feeling lately regarding his total lack of responsibility when it comes to administrative issues.

After this long-winded answer.... I think the answer is yes. We are a bit casual.

 
At November 05, 2011 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply. You answered exactly the question I had. I did not find it long-winded at all. And you brought up a dimension that I had not thought of as well - on the mat versus off the mat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home