Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Merry Go Round From Hell

Ya... That was what went through my mind Monday night.

I went to North Shore Aikikai's class Monday night. They are getting a brand new mat surface installed so we had to practice in a room upstairs. That particular room has a solid rubber floor of some kind. It doesn't really give at all.

We practiced some ukemi anyway. We did a few rolls. People with better ukemi obviously had an easier time of it. The breakfall practice roll that we do looked uncomfortable. I cheated some by doing something similar to a wobble roll. Basically... rather than lying flat and slapping my hand on a hard surface, I continued the motion to the other side.

We then went on to do a bunch of nikkyo, yonkyo, sankyo.

Where did the title of this post come from? Well.. we were doing yonkyo and one of the instructors (who was not teaching that night) got a great yonkyo on me and I was forced to go up and down and around. Merry Go ROund From Hell was what popped into my head at the time.

It was great working on some basic controls for a change. Espsecially with someone who can resist quit a bit of nikkyo/yonkyo.

2 Comments:

At December 30, 2011 8:34 PM, Anonymous Kenneth Gibbons LLC said...

AIKIDO sounds great. Where is your school located?

 
At December 31, 2011 12:29 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I am attending classes in two of the dojos in my area. Both are located in Beverly MA. If you are looking for NYC you could try going to the United States Aikido page and clicking the top link "Dojos".

http://www.usaikifed.com/

You should be able to find a dojo near you.

If you can get there, New York Aikikai is home to Yoshimitsu Yamada Sensei who was a direct student of the founder of aikido.

Best of luck. Feel free to post questions if you have them. I or someone else will chime in and answer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home