Saturday, February 18, 2012

Garume Galore

Was at Shodokan's Friday night class. Lots of garume this class. A lot of us had trouble getting someone of them. There was one in particular that was puzzling me. Once I saw all I had to do was reach under uke's arm it was a piece of cake. I still had trouble with a couple of the garmume hold downs he was showing. I know a few but there were one or two that night I hadn't seen before and had trouble getting.

These aren't going to be my 'go to' techniques for sure.

At one point we were doing an entry on the open side(turning your back to uke) with an elbow strike to his stomach with the thought that this will bend them over some. Reach up and grab the head/neck. Pull down and slide back and down with the same side foot for the throw. I was chuckling because I just did something very similar in one of Jim's classes at North Shore Aikikai.

My partner for this head throw was a guy who is very tentative on the mat. I do have to say though that his side training in judo is helping his aikido a lot. He was concerned on the throw because it looks like your affecting the head/neck area in a bad way. Really, all nage is doing is supporting uke so his head doesn't impact the mat. So I worked with him on his ukemi a bit. When he first started out he was falling sideways because he was afraid of the ukemi. By the end I had him going more head over heals. Because of all the focus on the ukemi, I tried improving mine as well. After a while of taking ukemi I started putting my arm down sooner for a smoother ride.

At the end he had us practicing some touchless throw which is basically moretetori kokyuho but you move before the contact. In reality I don't think you'd ever get away with doing this in a real situation. The natural reaction of someone with intent is just going to crash into you.... not follow the arm like a hypnotized lemming. Still... it's fun to practice and very flowy which I like.

It's also my belief that an untrained person is not going to flinch when you wave a hand at their face. Most people don't have the reactions a trained person has. In a real situation you'd have to make some light contact for an atemi.

Every time we have a test as we did recently at Shodokan, the teachers get a little feedback. This is why the previous classes I've been seeing on Sunday's have had a lot of entering training. Although this has never been an issue for me, more training couldn't hurt. I only wish we'd do some test techniques once in a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home