Saturday, August 25, 2012

Big Workout

Friday night I was at Shodokaans class. Got a terrific workout. Why? We did a lot of knife disarming techniques. Mr. Mulligan had us cycle through partners a couple of times. For most of the class I was paired up with a guy who likes to practice with resistance.

At this point, I kind of like knife disarms with some resistance. More than a couple of times it degenerated into a judo/jujitsu/wrestling match on the floor. I wasn't helping matters when early on my uke who has his back on the mat decides to grab his knife in boths hands so I can't easily turn him over and take it from him. My reaction was to put a knee on his face and neck(I didn't put my full weight on him) and use that to help pin him down while I used my two hands to free the knife. So much for being gentle.

Although each time I was a bad boy and went to the ground with my uke I still tried to use very little strength and use leverage and body weight. Worked for me because the next day I had no sore or achy muscles at all.

One of the hardest things I found to deal with was when someone comes at you with a knife in one hand but uses his free hand to initiate contact. You can easily go for the free hand but you won't have control of the knife. The easiest thing to do in that case for me seemed to have me enter. Backing up got me nowhere because the position doesn't change and you aren't in control of the mai when uke is moving in for a stab.

We did practice some actual aikido in between. At one point Mr. Mulligan came over and jokingly told us to stop making it too real.


2 Comments:

At August 27, 2012 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One word - Tenkan.

 
At August 27, 2012 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One word - Tenkan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home